- This article collects up all my previously published articles about the three auxiliary military hospitals established in and around Yateley during WW1, about the VADs and nurses who served in them, and will soon include articles about the houses which were turned into these hospitals.
NEWS FLASH 22 Nov 2015
- Sitting in Yateley with another member of the Yateley Society, in front of our laptops, we made telephone bids at an auction held in Hobart Tasmania. The Auction starting at 3:30 am GMT this morning (Sunday) was held by Australian auctioneers Mossgreen. The Society had authorised us to bid on the wartime journal of Alice Stilwell who worked as a VAD in the military hospital at Fir Grove, Eversley. We were spectacularly unsuccessful -- but see the end of this article for the happy outcome....
YATELEY AUXILIARY MILITARY HOSPITAL
- The Rector of Eversley describes how the Yateley Auxiliary Military Hospital was established in September 1914 as two separate wards -- in Yateley Vicarage (now Glebe House) and in Fir Grove (the home of Miss Ann Tindal) in Eversley.
- The Yateley Society has several photographs of the nurses, VADs and patients at the hospital established in the Vicarage of St Peter's Yateley . A group photograph, taken in mid 1916, of the nursing staff, both professional and volunteers, has the names of the sixteen individuals written on the back:
FIR GROVE AUXILIARY MILITARY HOSPITAL, EVERSLEY
- The Rector of St Mary's Eversley describes in the Eversley Parish Magazine of Jan 1917 the strain put on the hospital at Fir Grove as more and more beds were required. At the same time the hospital in Yateley Vicarage was closed because a new Vicar was arriving at St Peter's. The Eversley hospital therefore ceased to be merely a ward of the Yateley hospital, and became a much expanded separate establishment.
YATELEY AUXILIARY MILITARY HOSPITAL in 1917
- When we started this research in 2014 it was not entirely certain the Yateley Auxiliary Military Hospital transferred from Yateley Vicarage to Yateley Lodge. We had one photograph of soldiers at Yateley Lodge and short references in secondary sources. Yateley Lodge was then the home of Miss Constance Margaret Marx. Her mother Mrs Constance Wood nee Jervoise had just died, thus leaving her as the only resident of a very large house. New research based on Valerie Kerslake's 1970s oral history proves Yateley Hosp[tal did indeed move to Yateley Lodge.
MISS BEATRICE STILWELL,
QUARTERMASTER HANTS VAD DETACHMENT 94
- The hours put in managing the hospitals was a severe strain on the ladies who volunteered as Red Cross officers. Miss Beatrice Stilwell was Quartermaster of VAD detachment 94 but also ran the dairy attached to the family mansion at Hilfield. she died young, and her sisters and friends privatedly published an in memoriam book.
THE YATELEY SOCIETY'S EXHIBITION IN 2014