- — Zerlina Maxwell (@ZerlinaMaxwell)Tue, Mar 25 2014 17:45:19#RapeCultureIsWhen I went on TV and said we should "teach men not to rape" and was threatened with rape and murder on Twitter and FB.
- — Doe-Eyed Monster (@alysonmiers)Tue, Mar 25 2014 16:19:18#rapecultureiswhen some women are viewed as so hypersexual they are considered to be unrapeable; their refusal isn't really a refusal.
- — Brittney Cooper (@ProfessorCrunk)Tue, Mar 25 2014 19:12:19#rapecultureiswhen Bill Cosby sexually assaults women for decades and is still revered as "America's dad."
- — katherine of chicago (@kofchicago)Tue, Mar 25 2014 16:17:53#rapecultureiswhen what happened to me fits legal definition of rape but is a joke/my fault to internet commenters...& a former best friend
- — Jessica Wakeman (@JessicaWakeman)Tue, Mar 25 2014 16:23:44#Rapecultureiswhen we believe Mia Farrow has manipulated her daughter before we believe Woody Allen sexually abused his daughter
- — rose (@hernamewaselrod)Tue, Mar 25 2014 19:20:58#RapeCultureisWhen women are considered liars until proven otherwise. the only crime where the *victim* is guilty until proven innocent
- — Zerlina Maxwell (@ZerlinaMaxwell)Tue, Mar 25 2014 15:41:19#Rapecultureiswhen people tell you to get a gun in order to prevent rape but then don't mention you could end up like Marissa Alexander
- — Emelia Armstead (@meliebedelie)Tue, Mar 25 2014 17:04:22#rapecultureiswhen the media is more worried about how rape accusations will affect the 'promising futures' of the accused, than the victim
- — Bailey (@the_author_)Tue, Mar 25 2014 18:14:02#RapeCultureiswhen we talk about rape like it's is a force of nature that women should prepare for, rather than a deliberate act
- — Anne-Sophie (@PetiteDragonfly)Tue, Mar 25 2014 18:26:10#rapecultureiswhen "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE WOMEN WHO LIE ABOUT IT" is uttered any time you address the issue.
- — Sarcastica McSmarty (@angstyblkwoman)Tue, Mar 25 2014 18:08:30#RapeCultureIsWhen we praise sexual activity between a boy and an older woman rather than calling it rape or sexual assault.
- — Laci Green (@gogreen18)Tue, Mar 25 2014 18:31:12#rapecultureiswhen a young teen is gang raped by a group of athletes and social media/mainstream media comes back with "BUT SHE WAS DRUNK!"
- — Jamie Kilstein (@jamiekilstein)Tue, Mar 25 2014 16:16:02#rapecultureiswhen comedians who can't even unite to get healthcare choose rape jokes as their hill to die on.
- — Nefarious Newt (@NefariousNewt)Tue, Mar 25 2014 15:52:14#RapeCultureIsWhen a man claims his self control can be so easily short-circuited by what a woman is wearing.
- — Jaclyn Friedman (@jaclynf)Tue, Mar 25 2014 16:27:39#rapecultureiswhen bystanders see someone playing with the body of a passed-out girl, and don't know that's what rape looks like.
- — USA out of Venezuela (@kim_tastiic)Tue, Mar 25 2014 18:58:08#RapeCultureIsWhen 60% of sexual assault is not reported for fear of ostracism and victim blaming. http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates#.UzHRSx-PZfc.twitter …
- — Patricia Milton (@PatriciaMilton)Tue, Mar 25 2014 18:59:08#rapecultureiswhen survivors' stories don't count. Instead, "it didn’t happen" or "you should be over it by now.”
- — Zerlina Maxwell (@ZerlinaMaxwell)Tue, Mar 25 2014 15:49:20#Rapecultureiswhen survivors blame themselves and stay silent for fear that we will blame them....which we promptly do.
- — ♡ fuck monsanto ♡ (@deanmowfive)Tue, Mar 25 2014 18:57:15#rapecultureiswhen calling someone out on a rape joke is responded to with "someone's sensitive" or "are you one of those dyke feminists"
h/t to @ZerlinaMaxwell for creating the hashtag #rapecultureiswhen, tweeting, "I love when ppl question the existence of rape culture like it's a unicorn and not readily apparent to those who know what it is."