- Hundreds of journalists were invited to the launch of the new iPhone 5 at an event in San Francisco. A number of journalists watching from afar commented that they were disappointed by the latest Apple event.
- — Timothy B. Lee (@binarybits)Wed, Sep 12 2012 17:40:42So far it sounds like this is the first post-Steve iPhone and it shows. Apple's turning into a normal technology company.
- — Charles Forelle (@charlesforelle)Wed, Sep 12 2012 17:30:20Lesson from iPhone 4S & 5: Apple may sell a lot of them, but product launches just aren't exciting any more.
- — David Enrich (@davidenrich)Wed, Sep 12 2012 17:25:01As a business journalist, I find it deeply depressing to watch the inevitable media frenzy about an incrementally new Apple product.
- A number of Twitter users cracked jokes about the hoopla.
- — SarcasticRover (@SarcasticRover)Wed, Sep 12 2012 17:53:29Did I miss them showing the iPhone 5 furthering humanity's reach into the cosmos and fulfilling the dreams of a generation?
- We asked our followers what they thought of the new iPhone 5, encouraging them to use an #iThink hashtag in their responses. The reaction to the new device varied. A few said the updates were good, just not amazing.
- — Sagar (@esesparikh)Wed, Sep 12 2012 18:20:49
- — Eric Thomas (@ericmthomas)Wed, Sep 12 2012 18:55:14#iThink Apple has done exactly as expected & kept the gold standard. Some improvements are big, others are smaller, but the whole is great.
- — Michael Berry (@GoBlueBerry)Wed, Sep 12 2012 18:37:03#iThink Apple made the necessary upgrades to the iPhone. Nothing groundbreaking, but as smartphones mature there is less room for "Wow!"
- Others said they expected more from Apple and questioned whether the company was still innovative.
- — Colin Fox (@KILLColinFox)Wed, Sep 12 2012 18:26:24#iThink Apple could have done better. A slimmer phone with a wider screen. Its not like any other company has done that already
- Some Apple fans compared CEO Tim Cook's event unfavorably to those hosted by late founder Steve Jobs.
- — Varun Jajala (@varunjajala)Wed, Sep 12 2012 18:51:50
- — Danny Han (@dannyhphan)Wed, Sep 12 2012 19:15:39
- And some people complained they were sick of the whole thing.
Reactions to Apple's iPhone 5 Announcement
byWall Street Journal25,255 Views