- WorldStreams World Music, an ever evolving tapestry of music from artists around the world. Listen to some of the most exotic music on earth 24/7 on WorldStreams along with live interviews with leading world fusion musicians.
- During the past couple years, WorldStreams has had the pleasure of having many leading Iranian world music artists on our world music programs. From the intoxicating cries for freedom to traditional love songs... explore the beauty and politics of Iranian contemporary music.
Listen to an hour of conversation and music with each artist.
Little gems of history from the archives of WorldStreams!
- In a career that has spanned over a decade and includes ten collaborative and solo albums, Azam Ali has confirmed her place as being one of the most prolific, versatile and gifted singers on the world music stage today.
- Iranian-American Jamsheid Sharifi “For both One and A Prayer for the Soul of Layla, the inspiration has been to make music true to my heart and interests” says Sharifi. “I have had the opportunity to work on a number of different musical projects, very often helping another artist to realize his or her vision. These records reflect my ongoing love for and exploration of music outside of what we think of as Western music.”
- Hamed Nikpay was one of the first and few artists who showed his solidarity with the Iranian men and women who have put their lives in the harms way for freedom and democracy. The song entitled “The Owner of this Land—Maaleke een Khaak” written and performed by him for this occasion, has received much popularity for its originality and its soulful rendition.
- "At a time when the chasm between East and West is growing daily and misplaced hostility and lack of communication are thwarting any efforts at building bridges, it is reassuring to know that there is still one medium that remains uncorrupted by petty bigotry and short-sightedness, and transcends all issues of race, religion and ideology. Out of this landscape... an Indie band named Hypernova was born."
- Sussan Deyhim is a composer, vocalist and performance artist who has been at the forefront of experimental music internationally for over two decades. On June 20, 2009, during her non-violent pursuit for freedom, Neda Agha-Soltan was murdered. Neda reflects the courage and commitment of all Iranians seeking democracy. She's become their iconic martyr. Sussan created this music video for the memory of Neda.
- Monika Jalili is not Iranian, she is married to an Iranian and developed a love for Iranian music. For a talented group of Iranian poets and composers enjoying fame, the Iranian revolution of 1979 extinguished their hopes, dreams and careers. We will never know what could have been. Monika has worked endlessly to revive the touching works of these artists.
- Hafez Nazeri is Iran’s most influential and admired new composer. The son of legendary musician Shahram Nazeri. The United Nations Association recognized Hafez’s contributions and his innovation in undertaking the “In the Path of Rumi” tour.