- See the full gallery of winners on worldpressphoto.org.An international jury of leading professionals in the field of photojournalism worldwide judged 98,671 images submitted by 5,754 photographers from 132 countries at the World Press Photo office in Amsterdam from 1 February until 14 February. The 57th World Press Photo Contest chair was Gary Knight, UK, founder photographer of VII Photo Agency.On 14 February 2014 we announced the winners of the 57th World Press Photo Contest. The jury named John Stanmeyer's "Signal" the World Press Photo of the Year 2013. The picture shows African migrants on the shore of Djibouti city at night, raising their phones in an attempt to capture an inexpensive signal from neighboring Somalia—a tenuous link to relatives abroad. Djibouti is a common stop-off point for migrants in transit from such countries as Somalia, Ethiopia and Eritrea, seeking a better life in Europe and the Middle East.
- The results were presented by jury chair Gary Knight and World Press Photo Director Michiel Munneke during a press conference at the World Press Photo headquarters in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- The jury awarded prizes to 53 photographers of 25 nationalities from: Argentina, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, China, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Finland, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Jordan, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, Serbia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, the UK and the USA.
- In addition to the winning images, the jury gave special mention to a photo story by a non-professional photographer about Dunalley, a town in Tasmania, Australia, that was ravaged by bushfires.
- See the full gallery of all the winning pictures here: http://www.worldpressphoto.org/awards/2014 …Check out the full list of winners here: http://www.worldpressphoto.org/2014-photo-contest/winners-list …Watch interviews with the jury here: http://www.worldpressphoto.org/2014-photo-contest/jury-interviews …And learn more about the contest here: http://www.worldpressphoto.org/2014-photo-contest …Have a look at the special mention and the press release here: http://www.worldpressphoto.org/content/american-photographer-john-stanmeyer-wins-world-press-photo-year-2013 …
- (Content and images are presented in reverse order.)
- DAY 14: Friday, 14 FebruaryThe day we've been looking forward to since the contest opened in December 2013: Announcement day! Today we reveal the results of the jury's final decisions, including the World Press Photo of the Year 2013.
See the full gallery of winners after 14.00 CET GMT+1 on worldpressphoto.org.