- Most of the parents struggle with introducing limits at home without the consequences and a good example to understand the helplessness of the parents can be underlined if we focus on the cases, in which children are adamant on ride on cars with remote control or anything else they have been waiting to have. One of the frequently asked questions is if parents cannot use force or threaten the children, what options do they have? This implies that there is a need to provide the parents with alternative options to deal with children in addition to getting them used to habits that are good for their development. Moreover, if you think punishing children in form of not allowing them the time to listen to bedtime story or grounding them can help, you are probably wrong, because it would remove all those opportunities to bond with your child in addition to creating distance and bitterness for you and your children. This means that you will have to explore new options to make the children realize the value of discipline and to maintain a routine of good habits, for instance cleaning the teeth and so on and so forth.
In addition, if you are already using force, the chances are children will resist to it in form of fighting you to have power over the matters important to them. For instance, if your child is not encouraged enough to pursue a routine or if they are not listening to you, the force will worsen the situation by heightening the tension. To put simply, you will lose the chances of cooperation or patch up with the child. Furthermore, the question related to resolving or approaching the difference of opinion will not be taught to the children, which will reflect badly on the adult life of children. Therefore, below mentioned are few of the tips to help you with the problem of discipline and limitations at home.
- Anger may seem like a good idea to you; however, if you think about the negative ramification in the long term, it will become clear to you that anger will drive your child away from you rather than making them listen to your perspective. This means that if you get angry, try to think about something nice to distract your mind. For instance, a good memory can help to prevent you from getting angry.
Acknowledge the Perspective of Child
- The best approach is to get into the shoes of the child and try to find the reason to convince them. For instance, you can tell them to skip a day of brushing the teeth on the condition of brushing or following the routine on other days.
Restate your Rules
- Though repetition in anger is never helpful, however, if you know the art of restating the position or value of rules when all are in the good mood, it can help to implement the rules to an extent.
- Even though it is not recommended by many experts, however, if you really want to win over your child, it is good to get him/her the things they really want to have. For instance, if you think the wish list is too long for you to fulfill or complete, you could get hem things that would really help them grow as a person or mature. For instance, an educational toy may help or something that you approve of and the child would also appreciate. The main idea is to find the middle ground for the reconciliation.
Playing with Children
- Of course, playing is important for children, but if parents also participate with them, it could provide them with a number of opportunities to bond with the children and to enforce positive limitation or rules in the lives. For instance, remaining patient, building the stamina and control of anger are few of the positive values that can be incorporated if you supervise the children and engage them in the constructive way. Moreover, discipline will also become a part of the lives, which is required to enforce the positive attributes in children.
- Creative ways to find the solutions and ways to approach hard things is also pertinent, if you want to create a good environment at home. This means that you will have to spend a lot of time looking for the best ways. For instance, if you try not to get angry and allow the child to have his/her say in some of the situations and ask them to listen to you in other situations, it could create a sense of trust and understanding between you. Similarly, you can address the concerns of the child in terms of giving them more time and attention in return for their cooperation with the daily chores and school homework
- The main purpose of communication is to improve the understanding and provide each other the channel to voice out concerns and sort them out in a mature way. This implies that if you have good communication with the children, the factors of friction or problems in your relationship will be resolved to a large extent. And if you could invest in that as the parents, the children would also be grateful. Moreover, you will impart the children with a skill that define the life choices and prospects of future life as well.
- The option of forcing your children to brush the teeth or to listen to you may seem attractive; however, if you think about the consequences, you will probably change the mind. In other words, disciplined kids turn out to be good individuals, but if you do that at the cost of the freedom children are entitled to, your relationship with the children may not remain good. In other words, finding innovative approaches may consume a lot of your time, however, if you are aware of the positive implications, you will be glad to know that it is probably the best approach for you and the growth of your child.