- Dragons are awesome, we probably all agree about that. And you can find them in Ljubljana, of all places. You can see their statues, of course, but it's much more than that. Some say their presence is felt at every step. :)
- So where did they come from?
"The European dragon is derived from European folk traditions and ultimately related to Greek and MiddleEastern mythologies. … Dragons emitting fire were traditional elements of folktales and myths and, as such, later permeated into modern fantasy." (Source: Wikipedia)
In Ljubljana we have an interesting legend. It's about the very origin of Ljubljana and yes, it has dragons in it. :)
The legend about the origin of Ljubljana
The legend has it that Ljubljana was founded by the Greek mythological hero Jason and his companions, the Argonauts. They stole the golden fleece from King Aetes and fled from him across the Black Sea and up the Danube, Sava and, finally, the Ljubljanica river.
At a large lake in the marshes near the source of the Ljubljanica they stopped and disassembled their ship to be able to carry it to the Adriatic Sea, put it together again, and return to Greece.
The lake was the dwelling place of a monster, which Jason fought, defeated and killed. The monster, now referred to as the Ljubljana Dragon, found its place atop the castle tower depicted on the Ljubljana coat of arms.
- And what do the dragons do today? Well, they don't just sit on their pedestals, we can tell you that.
Whenever something goes amiss or a damsel gets in distress, they act to set things straight under the cloak of the night. ;)
Here's one such story. A damsel by the name of Ursula was attacked by a bizarre underwater alien (the sort that lives in the Ljubljanica river) and here's what happened:
- But most of all, dragons are an inspiration for countless amazing stories. They are mighty and ferocious and they represent everything that has always been cool about our city.
Dragons come in all shapes and sizes in Ljubljana
If you haven't been photographed next to a dragon, you can hardly claim that you have visited Ljubljana. So where can you find this rare creature?
Well, it not that rare in Ljubljana. The Dragon Bridge is just the most obvious of all the places ...
- There are a number of dragons claiming Ljubljana as their home and they can be found everywhere in the city!
- Sometimes visitors just try to find as many dragons as they can. They can be found in some surprising places.
- Our Pinterest gallery of dragons might be helpful in spotting them. Check it out!