#ResilienceSunday - Preventing crises, enabling recovery
How can we make developing countries resilient to threats posed by conflicts and disasters? Here are some of the most popular #ResilienceSunday tweets and Facebook posts. Join the global discussion on preventing crisis and enabling recovery - we’d love your input!
- One in five citizens in Bosnia and Herzegovina may possess an illegal firearm. As much as 10 acts of violence occur weekly involving illegal weapons---that's nearly 521 incidents that could be prevented.
On #ResilienceSunday, UNDP Bosnia and Herzegovina is working hard to reduce illegal weapons through the "Choose Life Without Weapons" campaign with partners UNICEF DFID - UK Department for International Development European Commission SEESAC International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement World Future Council, OSCE – The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe
Photo: Irfan Redzovic
- On #ResilienceSunday, we're sharing an old but beloved photo from UNDP Pakistan. After the 2010 floods, women in the province of Sindh, Pakistan took UNDP construction training classes, learned masonry and rebuilt their communities.
Pictured are the first female masons of Sindth province to continue work as masons, traditionally a profession for men in Pakistan.
Photo: Saotomi Kato
- "Building resilience for sustained and sustainable development benefits from governance which is active, effective, honest, fair, and also, in my opinion, responsive and representative.
I speak from a deep conviction that resilience is development."
- Helen Clark
- More than 35,000 Palestinian refugees, formally living in Syria, have fled to neighboring Lebanon where they face terrible living conditions. We changed that for 2,000 of them. In cooperation with UN-HABITAT and the support of the Swiss Agency for Development and Coordination Government, the German government and the U.S. Department of State, we prepared more than 300 shelters for the winter.
- How can we help prepare disabled people in developing nations for a natural disaster?
- For #ResilienceSunday, check out our video of the Green One UN House in Hanoi which contributes further to the efficiency and effectiveness of development results in Viet Nam.
- Learn how Senegalese women have rehabilitated mangrove forests to decrease soil salinity & increase fish populations:
- What can help build a better world? Freedom from discrimination/persecution?
VOTE and make YOUR voice heard! ow.ly/hemmK
- Would access to transport and roads improve YOUR life? See what others said and cast your vote at MY World 2015: ow.ly/heoaq
- After more than two decades of civil war, the fire department in Mogadishu had fallen apart. Now - it's building itself back up!
- Nepal is one of the 20 most disaster-prone countries in the world. So Nepalis have to prepare!
- Check out our photo gallery on preventing crisis & enabling recovery on Facebook: on.undp.org/gE61H
- Interested to learn more about our work around preventing crisis & enabling recovery? Click here: