#DemocracySaturday - Building democratic societies
How can we build democratic institutions that respond to the needs of all parts of societies? Here are some of the most popular #DemocracySaturday tweets and Facebook posts. Join the global discussion on building democratic societies - we’d love your input!
- A fundamental aspect of a democratic state is the right of its citizens to participate in decision-making processes. The success of development and participatory governance depends on both a robust state and an active civil society with healthy levels of civic engagement.
- "Democracy cannot be exported or imposed; it must come from the will of the people. The rest of us can support nations on the path they lay out for themselves to meet their aspirations for equity, inclusiveness and empowerment." - Helen Clark
- We are here to help governments to be more responsive to the needs of ordinary citizens, including the poor.
We are here to build Democratic Government.
- Graphic design students from Sudan participate in a drawing contest for anti-corruption day.
How can we move from transparency to accountability?
- read the story of a young, inspiring and highly motivational Afghan who is educating his fellow youth in Mazar-e-Sharif to exercise their patriotic duty to vote: on.undp.org/qSyum
- Nearly eight million people in Madagascar were expected to vote for a new president, in an election postponed several times and widely expected to break the country's five-year political impasse. "Not only will I fulfill my duty as a citizen, but I was motivated to vote today to finally choose a democratically-elected president," said Viviane, who works as a bank clerk.
- Kenyans will head to the polls next Monday, March 4th - We helped Kenyan authorities carry out a vast voter outreach campaign - Read more: on.undp.org/ibrV3
- People in Latin America & the Caribbean are least likely in the world to feel safe in their communities. Find out what needs to be done: on.undp.org/hlBN0
- What do you think are the biggest obstacles to democratic governance? Click below to see your answers!
- The more voters- the better! So far 10.8 million voters have been registered in anticipation for new elections in Nepal.
- Check out our photo gallery on building democratic societies on Facebook: on.undp.org/gE4S3
- Interested to learn more about our work around building democratic societies? Click here: