2016: A year of 'giant steps'
As we close out 2016, we remember 10 of our biggest news and accomplishments of the year.
- 1. We celebrated the installation of our 11th chancellor, Dr. Franklin D. Gilliam, Jr.
- 2. Spartans across the country cheered on former UNCG track star Paul Chelimo as he raced his way to a silver medal at the Rio Olympics.
- 3. North Carolina voters passed the Connect NC bond, which will bring a new nursing/STEM building to campus.
- 4. The Leonard J. Kaplan Center for Wellness – featuring two pools, seven basketball courts and a 54-foot climbing wall – opened its doors.
- 5. Speaking of state-of-the-art, we celebrated the opening of Union Square, a new downtown facility that houses our doctor of nursing practice program.
- — Tim Wilson (@timwilson626)Wed, Feb 17 2016 18:45:02I #BelieveInTheG because it gave me the opportunity to meet some amazing people, study abroad & work with some great campus organizations!
- — Alexandra Mackey (@alexandrapmack)Wed, Feb 17 2016 21:51:22
- 7. New UNC system president Margaret Spellings visited our beautiful campus for the first time.