- I'll let Rian, Yedlin's old friend and director of "Episode VIII" (among other things) introduce things:
- — Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson)Sat, Jan 09 2016 18:15:16I want to post something incredible but it requires a little set up. My DP & friend @steveyedlin is a color science nut, and has
- — Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson)Sat, Jan 09 2016 18:15:38obsessively modeled the characteristics of traditional film in order to apply them to digital. Recently he created a demo comparing footage
- — Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson)Sat, Jan 09 2016 18:15:48shot on film with Alexa footage treated with his film modeling. The point of the demo is not a gotcha guessing game, but to demonstrate his
- — Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson)Sat, Jan 09 2016 18:15:58thesis that the capture medium is not the defining factor in an image. You can see his demo here: http://www.yedlin.net/DisplayPrepDemo
- And now, Steve, introducing his side-by-side tests, and responding to questions. Be sure to follow the links, read the emails, and watch the videos.
- — Steve Yedlin (@steveyedlin)Thu, Dec 31 2015 17:42:49
- — Steve Yedlin (@steveyedlin)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:44:10
- — Steve Yedlin (@steveyedlin)Wed, Jan 06 2016 19:06:20
- — erik winquist (@quister)Thu, Jan 07 2016 10:56:09Fantastic demo showing just how silly the "film > digital!" religious war is. I couldn't agree more. Great work! https://twitter.com/steveyedlin/status/682617919201763328 …
- Be sure to read this conversation between Mario Carvalhal.
- — Steve Yedlin (@steveyedlin)Sat, Jan 09 2016 17:35:16A more readable edition of my recent post on intrinsic vs circumstantial causality in the "look" of camera formats. http://www.yedlin.net/160105_edit.html …
- — Aaron Stewart-Ahn (@somebadideas)Sat, Jan 09 2016 19:45:35@rianjohnson shining a continuum of light through a paste of silver halide crystals, plant & animal cells to capture time is pretty magical.
- — Duncan Jones (@ManMadeMoon)Sun, Jan 10 2016 01:54:25@rianjohnson Just reread. Your friend is far more articulate & experienced with the dual-formats than I, but I agree with him 100%
- — Steve Yedlin (@steveyedlin)Sun, Jan 10 2016 22:30:54The reason I got interested in color science is not that I don't like film. It's that a love film and don't want it's tradition to vanish.
- — Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson)Tue, Dec 29 2015 00:09:41
Steve Yedlin's Film vs. Digital Tests
Cinematographer Steve Yedlin ("Brick", "Looper" and the upcoming "Star Wars: Episode VIII"), discusses the technical (and religious) war surrounding the film vs. digital debate, presenting some beautiful side-by-side comparisons.
byTodd Vaziri1 Like21,646 Views