- — tressie mc (@tressiemcphd)Wed, May 02 2012 18:42:40I quit life rt @literarychica: ::headdesk:: RT @redclayscholar: Welp! Here it be: http://chronicle.com/blogs/brainstorm/the-most-persuasive-case-for-eliminating-black-studies-just-read-the-dissertations/46346 …/blogs/brainstorm/the-most-persuasive-case-for-eliminating-black-studies-just-read-the-dissertations/46346”
- — tressie mc (@tressiemcphd)Wed, May 02 2012 18:50:54
- — tressie mc (@tressiemcphd)Wed, May 02 2012 18:54:29The biggest insult? naomi schaefer riley doesn't critique the arguments of black studies scholars. That would be too respectful @chronicle
- — Dopealicious (@dopealicious)Wed, May 02 2012 19:03:53@tressiemcphd I just read the original article a few days ago. Her response and critique of it is angering and heart breaking.
- — Sandy Darity (@SandyDarity)Wed, May 02 2012 21:01:42Naomi Schaefer Riley's blog piece @chronicle attacking Black Studies reads like lifted from Manhattan Institute and/or Amy Wax lecture
- — Amy Lynn Alexander (@Chronicle_Amy)Wed, May 02 2012 21:07:16
- — tressie mc (@tressiemcphd)Wed, May 02 2012 21:50:04Yes, please let's have that discussion. Because this kind of attack should not be legitimized http://tressiemc.com/2012/05/02/the-inferiority-of-blackness-as-a-subject/ …/2Chronicle_Amy-inferiority-of-blackness-as-a-subject/ @Chronicle_Amy
- — tressie mc (@tressiemcphd)Wed, May 02 2012 21:52:34And I'mma give Amy a hot second before I hit publish on this petition to remove @NaomiSRiley from their pages. But only a hot second.
- — tressie mc (@tressiemcphd)Wed, May 02 2012 21:53:39I mean can you imagine having your diss recognized in a nat'l publication for the same pub to turn around and print a personal attack on u?!
- — Tom Head (@TomHeadLovesYou)Wed, May 02 2012 21:54:17@chronicle Saddened by your magazine's decision to endorse hateful, semiliterate, racially-motivated criticism of black doctoral students.
- — tressie mc (@tressiemcphd)Wed, May 02 2012 23:08:33No. I'm REALLY indignant. Petition: Challenge @chronicle to Dismiss Naomi Schaefer Riley http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/challenge-the-chronicle-of-higher-education-to/ …s.com/petition/challenge-the-chronicle-of-higher-education-to/
- — Lee Skallerup (@readywriting)Wed, May 02 2012 23:12:58@tressiemcphd Notice as well that when they responded to you here, they still included the link? Traffic is traffic. Sigh.
- — JeffSharlet (@JeffSharlet)Wed, May 02 2012 23:27:10
- — .... (@surlyurbanist)Wed, May 02 2012 23:33:50check out my new post on why black scholarship matters: http://surlyurbanist.blogspot.com/2012/05/black-scholarship-matters.html ….blogspot.ctressiemcphdlack-scholarship-matters.html word to @tressiemcphd
- — George Online (@GeorgeOnline)Wed, May 02 2012 23:51:03As a blogger for the @chronicle, I'm seriously disappointed by their decision to publish NSR's irresponsibly anti-intellectual opinions. +
- — George Online (@GeorgeOnline)Wed, May 02 2012 23:53:11I would hope that they consider how *other* @chronicle bloggers feel being associated, however indirectly, with content like this. -
- — Mark Sample (@samplereality)Wed, May 02 2012 23:53:25
- — Mark Sample (@samplereality)Thu, May 03 2012 00:06:26NSR is an "affiliate scholar" at Institute for American Values, funded by a foundation which was founded by a charter member of John Birch.
- — tressie mc (@tressiemcphd)Thu, May 03 2012 00:35:54
Making Legitimate the Fringe: The Story of Naomi Schaefer Riley & The Chronicle of Higher Ed
Some people thought Naomi Schaefer Riley's Attack on Black Studies and Blacks Who Study Shouldn't be in the Chronicle...and, they disagreed
bytressie mc2 Likes2,691 Views