- The Daily Mirror reported:
In the unseen footage – which was later edited out of the show – the £1million a year TV host is seen swinging his finger between two cars, while reciting a racist version of a children’s counting rhyme.
Clarkson can be heard chanting: “Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...” He then mumbles: “Catch a n***** by his toe”.
- Clarkson denied it.
- Then the Mirror posted a clip of the incident, with the volume turned up just over the part that he mumbles.
Then Clarkson apologized and "begged forgiveness." "Please be assured I did everything in my power to not use that word."
- The BBC today published a story: BBC upbraids presenter over 'racist' clip: "We have left him in no doubt about how seriously we view this." http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27253880 …
- Now there is, predictably, a petition to sack Jeremy Clarkson
- But he has his defenders.
- Some resorted to humour:
- But the controversy triggered off an old rivalry - with British tabloid journalist and until recently, CNN host, Piers Morgan
- Others jumped into the fray:
- Why do people accused of racism say they don't have a racist bone in their body? Slate magazine compiled a list of people without racist bones.
- Just for context, British website Us vs.Them came up with this list: