- — Toronto Star (@TorontoStar)Fri, Jan 11 2013 15:07:40
- Like the parent in the above photo, some rushed their kids off to school after schools became open. For some, that meant towing crying children upset about missing a day off.
- We asked how readers felt about all this. You answered. Here's some of your reaction tweeted directly to @TorontoStar.Some parents were upset, but there was some sympathy for teachers:
- — Jenn Dunstan (@JennDunstan)Fri, Jan 11 2013 15:12:28@TorontoStar Irritated. Tormenting the families teachers are paid to help is selfish and unnecessary. We're the only ones they're hurting.
- — Heather (@sunsetprincess)Fri, Jan 11 2013 15:18:19@TorontoStar Some parents are ridicules! No other union would put up w the crap teacher's have been handed. Why should tchrs have 2 suffer?
- — Anette Mageau (@AnetteInTO)Fri, Jan 11 2013 15:23:37@TorontoStar Angry is too strong but miffed is spot on. Now my son gets an absent on his record when it's the board's flip-flop at fault
- — Alison King (@AlisonWordsmith)Fri, Jan 11 2013 15:36:46@TorontoStar Most parents (voters) don't care about bargaining rights. Angry parents = support 4 govt action. Union needs new strategy here.
- — Brian (@bconnolly00)Fri, Jan 11 2013 15:24:04
- Anger. Frustration. Confusion. In general, many parents tweeted their displeasure at finding out so last minute about the walkout change.
- — Carley Fisher (@CarleyAFisher)Fri, Jan 11 2013 14:22:33
- ETFO president Sam Hammond, above, instructed teachers to go to work if their schools were open after their planned protest was deemed illegal.
- — Jordan A. Glass (@JordanAGlass)Fri, Jan 11 2013 14:27:12
- — Brent Marshall (@eightlines)Fri, Jan 11 2013 14:27:25So the TDSB successfully uses our kids as pawns. Strike declared illegal at 4am, but the damage was done, 3 kids attended class.
- — danica davis (@davisdd1980)Fri, Jan 11 2013 14:33:54@CP24 my daughter got up half an hour ago. Am I suppose to rush her to school now? TDSB need to get their act together. Are u open or close
- What about students and daycare workers?
- — Nutella & Stuff (@TeenLittleThing)Fri, Jan 11 2013 14:47:07@tdsb finally reached school !!! only 5 students in my class loool (: btw still a bit cranky about the changes made around 4:00 am.
- — Fareeha (@Fareehaa85)Fri, Jan 11 2013 14:33:59
Parents, students vent about 4 a.m. ruling on teacher walkout
There was little sympathy for teachers on Twitter Friday as angry parents and students tweeted their frustration at finding out GTA schools were open after being told they would be closed for a teacher walkout. The walkout was ruled illegal at 4 a.m.
byToronto Star26,023 Views