- — Joe Lance (@joelance)Thu, Oct 27 2016 21:36:21Will live tweet the BoE meeting momentarily. Mute if needed. ;-) (@ Hamilton County Department of Education) https://www.swarmapp.com/c/eGbC44NJjXJ
- First agenda item: Superintendent search. Board Member Kathy Lennon made a motion to hire interim Supt. Dr. Kirk Kelly, instead of the planned approach to decide among three search firms.
- — Joe Lance (@joelance)Thu, Oct 27 2016 21:41:59I am standing in the entry way, as there is no more room in the board room. (Curse you, Bonny Oaks traffic.) Motion to hire Kirk Kelly made.
- — Joe Lance (@joelance)Thu, Oct 27 2016 22:00:26Search firm "Coleman" wins. Kathy Lennon asks to move that interviews be streamed & public. Bennett clarifies that "public" is state law.
- Lennon then asked if the meetings will be public and/or live-streamed.
- — Joe Lance (@joelance)Thu, Oct 27 2016 22:02:04Rhonda Thurman says anyone can bring a camera and stream, it doesn't need to be policy change. Karitsa Jones says rare, but agrees w Thurman
- — Joe Lance (@joelance)Thu, Oct 27 2016 23:08:50
- Moving on with the remaining agenda items...
- — Joe Lance (@joelance)Thu, Oct 27 2016 22:10:45Title IX update to BoE from Karen Glenn, STARS Director/Safe Schools Learning Environment. Lots of info about training delivered to staff.
- — CAC of Hamilton Co. (@CACHC)Thu, Oct 27 2016 22:26:47We are pleased to be part of the solution by training all staff district wide on child abuse prevention w our evidence based curriculum https://twitter.com/joelance/status/791765507682791424 …
- — Joe Lance (@joelance)Thu, Oct 27 2016 22:39:05CLASS position is: the local school administrators are the best equipped to support transgender student needs, not sweeping requirements.
- — Joe Lance (@joelance)Thu, Oct 27 2016 22:43:50Should a district's bottom 5% of schools have an alternative to Achievement School District takeover? Some in Nashville & Shelby say yes.
- — Joe Lance (@joelance)Thu, Oct 27 2016 22:52:08Pathways to Prosperity cites Harvard's and other studies saying ~30% of jobseekers need a 4-yr college degree. Tech training alternatives.
School Board Finally Decides How to Decide on a Superintendent
A running recap of the 27-Oct-2016 Hamilton County Board of Education meeting