- Tweeters made their predictions about the significance of the remarks, and what he would say -- and some jokes.
- — Katelyn Polantz (@kpolantz)Wed, May 09 2012 10:32:28Someday we shall all reminisce: where were you the moment Robin Roberts asked POTUS. Oh man, it's 1:32, think it happened yet??
- — Abby Goodnough (@abbygoodnough)Wed, May 09 2012 11:08:09
- — lisa mia zia zuma (@zulugirl13)Wed, May 09 2012 11:01:07
- — Brian Stelter (@brianstelter)Wed, May 09 2012 10:31:33
- — Michael Cohen (@speechboy71)Wed, May 09 2012 10:43:19I'm really stunned that BHO will announce support for gay marriage in an interview rather than a speech. It's a very odd comm strategy
- — Jesse Berney (@jesseberney)Wed, May 09 2012 08:26:52BREAKING: In his upcoming Robin Roberts interview, President Obama will reveal that his opinion on the Avengers is evolving.
The News ....
- ABC broke into its usual afternoon broadcast at 3 p.m. to announce, yes, the president had changed his stance on gay marriage, and said he now supports it.
- Reaction was swift.
- — Andrew Grossman (@A_Grossman)Wed, May 09 2012 12:04:42Bloomberg: "A major turning point in the history of American civil rights...announcement is a testament to the President’s convictions"
- — sarah blackstock (@sarahblackstock)Wed, May 09 2012 10:47:31
- — Cory Booker (@CoryBooker)Wed, May 09 2012 12:28:36Historic day for justice and equality. Our United States President Obama endorses marriage equality. I rejoice in this announcement.
- — Brian Stelter (@brianstelter)Wed, May 09 2012 12:07:05On Fox, Shep Smith shows ABC's clip of Obama, then says: "The president of the United States: now in the 21st century."
- — Hilary Rosen (@hilaryr)Wed, May 09 2012 12:39:40