- Tweeters made their predictions about the significance of the remarks, and what he would say -- and some jokes.
- — Katelyn Polantz (@kpolantz)Wed, May 09 2012 17:32:28Someday we shall all reminisce: where were you the moment Robin Roberts asked POTUS. Oh man, it's 1:32, think it happened yet??
- — Abby Goodnough (@abbygoodnough)Wed, May 09 2012 18:08:09
- — lisa mia zia zuma (@zulugirl13)Wed, May 09 2012 18:01:07
- — Brian Stelter (@brianstelter)Wed, May 09 2012 17:31:33
- — Michael Cohen (@speechboy71)Wed, May 09 2012 17:43:19I'm really stunned that BHO will announce support for gay marriage in an interview rather than a speech. It's a very odd comm strategy
- — Jesse Berney (@jesseberney)Wed, May 09 2012 15:26:52BREAKING: In his upcoming Robin Roberts interview, President Obama will reveal that his opinion on the Avengers is evolving.
The News ....
- ABC broke into its usual afternoon broadcast at 3 p.m. to announce, yes, the president had changed his stance on gay marriage, and said he now supports it.
- Reaction was swift.
- — Andrew Grossman (@A_Grossman)Wed, May 09 2012 19:04:42Bloomberg: "A major turning point in the history of American civil rights...announcement is a testament to the President’s convictions"
- — sarah blackstock (@sarahblackstock)Wed, May 09 2012 17:47:31
- — Cory Booker (@CoryBooker)Wed, May 09 2012 19:28:36Historic day for justice and equality. Our United States President Obama endorses marriage equality. I rejoice in this announcement.
- — Brian Stelter (@brianstelter)Wed, May 09 2012 19:07:05On Fox, Shep Smith shows ABC's clip of Obama, then says: "The president of the United States: now in the 21st century."
- — Hilary Rosen (@hilaryr)Wed, May 09 2012 19:39:40
A Swirl Around Gay Marriage
Below, how the day played out on Twitter.