Men will sometimes develop breasts. This condition is known as Gynecomastia. It is a very undesirable condition, in terms of physique appearance. No man wants to seem as though they have a feminine shape. Gynecomastia happens when the body develops a strong hormone imbalance.
- The male body develops an increased build of estrogen leading to the development of feminine features such as the growth of breasts. Estrogen is often the cause of this condition, but progesterone may also lead to breast enlargement.
- Causes of Gynecomastia
- Hormone Imbalance – Growth and development are often the cause of hormone imbalances in the body. When it comes to young men, they’re developing and their hormones are often increasing or decreasing as they grow. During puberty and the teenage years, young boys may have an increased level of estrogen leading to Gynecomastia.
- In this case, no heavy action needs to be taken because the condition often resolves itself within a few months or a year. If there are concerns, the parent should take the boy to a doctor for a diagnosis. A hormone imbalance also happens when a man is in his elderly years. At this stage, his testosterone levels might decrease and the estrogen levels can cause Gynecomastia. Both of these stages require monitoring of the condition.
- Use of Steroids and Drugs – Those who love body building and other sports activities that require the use of steroids run a risk of developing Gynecomastia. Steroids often interfere with how the body process and uses hormones. This also is the same with those who abuse drugs like marijuana and other types of drugs. The body is unable to balance its hormones. Estrogen levels increase in this case, and the man develops Gynecomastia.
Prevention of Gynecomastia
- Body builders who take steroids should take the time to learn more about the effects of steroids. If possible, they should seek the help of a professional to manage their intake of steroids. There are anti-estrogen medications that can be taken along with steroids to prevent the development of hormone imbalances. The more estrogen builds up in a body builder’s body, the more likely they are to get Gynecomastia.
- There are times that Gynecomastia is caused by a condition that is underlying. In this case, it is important to visit a doctor in order to find out the real cause of the disease. People with kidney disorders, or diseases like liver failure and alcoholic cirrhosis. The best way to treat the condition in these scenarios is to treat the main disease.
It is important to eat healthy and have sufficient exercise to prevent Gynecomastia. A balanced diet and reduction of medication or use of drugs keeps a man’s hormonal balance intact, thus preventing Gynecomastia.