- The original caption said he's diving for home, and it used the tag Charlie Rose, not Pete Rose or Charlie Hustle. But, never one not to chime in:
- — Tom Bridge (@tbridge)Thu, Jan 03 2013 22:39:39
- — Will Yoder (@WillYoder)Thu, Jan 03 2013 22:47:04@tbridge @nprfreshair See here: http://siphotos.tumblr.com/post/23230392710/pete-rose-dives-into-third-base-during-a-1975-game …lr.com/post/23230392710/pete-rose-dives-into-third-base-during-a-1975-game
- — Will Yoder (@WillYoder)Thu, Jan 03 2013 22:49:31@tbridge The baseline I'm unsure about. But to me it looks like he took a hard round passed second and came in at a sharp angle. Could be 2b
- — Will Yoder (@WillYoder)Thu, Jan 03 2013 22:57:14@tbridge @nprfreshair From Getty Images http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/cincinnati-reds-pete-rose-in-action-diving-into-third-base-news-photo/81395456 …es.com/detail/news-photo/cincinnati-reds-pete-rose-in-action-diving-into-third-base-news-photo/81395456
- — Tom Bridge (@tbridge)Thu, Jan 03 2013 22:58:55
- — Will Yoder (@WillYoder)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:02:38@tbridge @nprfreshair Is this the same photo? If so, you can see the brim of the grass in the bottom right. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/804404-the-101-most-iconic-photographs-in-sports-history/page/30 …t.com/articles/804404-the-101-most-iconic-photographs-in-sports-history/page/30
- — Tom Bridge (@tbridge)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:04:05@WillYoder @nprfreshair Same facial expression, but this photo is different: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m46a2fBimr1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg …lr.com/tumblr_m46a2fBimr1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg
- — Will Yoder (@WillYoder)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:06:08@tbridge Same expression, hair, gloves, foot position. I think the BR photo is doctored and compressed funny, but its the same image...
- — Tom Bridge (@tbridge)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:04:55@WillYoder @nprfreshair Also, there's a wider gap between third & grass at Wrigley: http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/images/ballpark/480x200_wrigley_field.jpg …mlb.com/chc/images/ballpark/480x200_wrigley_field.jpg
- — Will Yoder (@WillYoder)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:15:31@tbridge Went to second twice as well. Once on a single, the other on a wild pitch. I don't think either would result in that angle at 2b
- — Will Yoder (@WillYoder)Thu, Jan 03 2013 23:17:21@tbridge In this image he is clearly coming to the base from a rounded position. If he thought he would be out at 2B, he wouldn't have.
Neeeeeeeerds. This is what happens when you put two baseball-loving nerds on Twitter, in front of a single cropped photograph from 1975, incorrectly captioned by NPR's Fresh Air tumblr.
byTom Bridge1,019 Views