- — Alex Andreou (@sturdyAlex)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:01And YET, the most generous people I have met haven't got a pot to piss in. Maybe that's why they're poor. Because they share.
- — Alex Andreou (@sturdyAlex)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:01Maybe the price of wealth is being mean & tight & having one of those tiny mouths that never smile & shrivel like arseholes.
- — Alex Andreou (@sturdyAlex)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:01I was homeless for a year. Working, but not making enough for deposit+first month. I had to pay £5 for a shower at King's X.
- — Alex Andreou (@sturdyAlex)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:01THEN I understood poverty. It's not raiding coppers jar for fags or having no wine in the fridge. It's having no jar, no fridge, nothing.
- — Alex Andreou (@sturdyAlex)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:02But I never, not once, gave up the idea that I am strong and smart and made of good stock. I think that can make all the difference.
- — Alex Andreou (@sturdyAlex)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:02He had no idea how to even pay a bill. Ended up homeless. He said, pointing to passers-by, "I used to be a real person just like them".
- — Alex Andreou (@sturdyAlex)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:02When finally got a flat, I kept taking showers. Couldn't believe the luxury. For a month I'd walk into my kitchen & shout I HAVE A KITCHEN.
- — Alex Andreou (@sturdyAlex)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:02You can take a holiday to the land of the poor, but it ain't the same as living there. It's just a queer and exciting safari.
- Then came an astonishing flood of stories. Here are some I have chosen.
- — Ian Dickson (@IDickson258)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:02@sturdyAlex My brother & I couldn't afford school Xmas party so couldn't go. Someone paid for us. Years later found it was a teacher I hated
- — jackie neylon (@jackieneylon)Tue, Jan 08 2013 09:55:02@sturdyAlex Me and my little girl in bed ,inthe dark waiting for husband to come home with wages so we could feed the leccie meter .
Here is a collection of some of last night's tweets on #realpoverty
After the speech of our illustrious double duo and more scrounger/striver rhetoric, I went on a mini-rant. The responses it solicited, are nothing short of astonishing. There were thousands. Here is a small sample
byAlex Andreou1 Like4,705 Views