- 2013 was full of major news moments, a milestone Storify story and the election of a new Pope. As the (white) smoke clears on another year, we take a look at its stories on Storify.
Breaking news dominated the biggest stories and story elements
- The Supreme Court rules on marriage equality
- In March, the Supreme Court ruled against the Defense of Marriage Act and Prop 8. Social media exploded on the historic day, and this tweet from President Obama was one of Storify's most-used elements of the year:
- Habemas Papam! A new Pope is elected
- News outlets across the globe captured reactions as Pope Francis was elected. When the decision came, the official Pontifex Twitter account made the announcement with one of the year's most popular tweets, which we saw quoted in Storify stories just 53 seconds after it was first tweeted:
- White smoke from the Vatican heralded the news, later becoming the year's most-Storified GIF:
- Explosions at the Boston Marathon
- But by far, the tragic bombing of the Boston Marathon was the most heavily-covered story this year on Storify. The Boston Globe's tweet breaking the news was the most-storified tweet of 2013:
- And their footage of the horrific explosions the most-Storified video:
- Major news outlets live-blogged the event, while others shared the messages of hope the world offered Boston in the days that followed.
Fakes on a Plane: the Most Viral stories of 2013
- Beyond breaking news and major event coverage, a number of unique Storify stories went incredibly viral in 2013.
- Via his Instagram account, AP photographer David Guttenfelder provided a look at everyday life of North Korea, where Internet and visitor access is highly controlled. When the Globe and Mail curated his finds, the rare glimpse into the country instantly became a sensation online.