- Have more than one camera. I made sure I had two cameras with me in case there was a problem with one. I also had multiple flash memory cards and backup battery power cords and chargers.
My Main Camera: The Samsung NX1
- My main camera was the Samsung NX1. I evaluate cameras and the Samsung NX1 is the current camera that I have on loan to try out. I love it. Without question, this camera was the one I wanted with me to photograph the sessions. It has a super computer chip in it that allows the camera to distinguish faces and focus on them. It's really quick at this too.
My Backup Camera: The Samsung Galaxy Camera
- I fell in love with the Samsung Galaxy Camera two years ago at SXSW. I joined their reviewer program and loved the quality and connectivity that this camera has.
- I brought it along as backup, but when I turned it on to shoot the keynote, I was reminded of it's 21x zoom, and got some great shots of the speaker from three rows back.
Venue Arrival Time
- Breakfast started at 7 AM and the sessions started at 8:45. I arrived at breakfast at 7 AM and grabbed coffee and something to eat. Then I took a look at the day's schedule, that I had printed out the day before.
- I brought a Sharpie along with me and marked each session with it's room number, and mode navigational notes to make sure I knew where each room was. As you can see from the image above, after I photographed the speakers in each room, I numbered them in the order of completion and drew a circle around the number to make sure I covered every room.
Covering the Sessions
Ahead of Time
- I tried to get to the first room well before the speaker started to see if I could get some interesting shots. I got some interesting shots before the sessions started.
- In this one they asked if I wanted a posed shot, I said sure. Boom. Mic drop.