- The Loring Greenough House sits in the center of Jamaica Plain.
- The Comcast/Xfinity modem and WiFi was in serious need of an upgrade. In fact, if you have a modem like this at your home or business, call Xfinity, they want to upgrade them for free.
- A survey of WiFi coverage, before the upgrade, showed extreme variations in speed, with a large dead zone. Note: The Comcast Business Service subscription speed is currently at 16 Mbps.
- The higher WiFi speeds were just below the modem/router. The front of the house WiFi was clocking in at a sad 120 Kbps, and at the left hand side of the house, and outside function area, the WiFi was non-existent.
- After the new modem was installed, the internal WiFi was disabled and the eero base station was activated via the eero iOS iPhone app.
- Thanks to eero for the Home WiFi System which comes with an eero and two eero Beacons, plus the two additional eero Beacons.
- From the eero website:
eero is the only WiFi access point of its size that’s tri-band, meaning it can broadcast on three wireless radio bands simultaneously. With two Ethernet ports, eero is perfect for media rooms or anywhere you have Ethernet wiring.
Beacon plugs directly into any outlet and easily expands your system to cover every corner of your home. It also includes a handy and intelligent LED nightlight that adjusts brightness depending on the time of day.
eero TrueMesh™ software is built from the ground up to work perfectly with eero hardware. Developed using machine learning and data collected from hundreds of thousands of real homes, TrueMesh’s dynamic routing algorithms ensure there isn’t a home layout or connected device eero hasn’t encountered before.
- The user experience was exceptional. After setting up a Network Name and optional password, we proceeded to install the eero Beacons.
- Sarah uses the eero app to activate and name each eero Beacon.
- The eero app checks the placement of the eero Beacon and notifies you if if needs to be moved or if it's in a prime location.
- Maria Foster Doane Greenough Summer oversees the eero installation.
- Average speed around the house is now 19 Mbps.
- Thanks to Comcast/Xfinity for coming out to upgrade the modem, and eero for the Home WiFi System and Beacons.