- Support from current and former politicians supporting the measures
- — Rep. Stacey Newman (@staceynewman)Tue, Jan 05 2016 23:02:55My statement on @POTUS executive actions today to reduce gun violence. #stopgunviolence http://staceynewman.com/2016/01/05/statement-on-president-obamas-executive-actions-to-reduce-gun-violence/ …
- — Bernie Sanders (@SenSanders)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:44:47Republicans are clearly more loyal to gun lobbyists than our children. I support @POTUS's executive actions to make our communities safer.
- — Rep. Diana DeGette (@RepDianaDeGette)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:16:08
- — Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:19:11.@POTUS is right: We can protect the Second Amendment while protecting our families and communities from gun violence. And we have to.
- — Mark Warner (@MarkWarner)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:39:43
- — Madeleine Albright (@madeleine)Tue, Jan 05 2016 22:30:23
- — D Wasserman Schultz (@DWStweets)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:20:35
- Many disagree with the President and won't support the changes
- — Pat Roberts (@SenPatRoberts)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:27:45I will fight every proposal that threatens Americans’ right to self-protect & fails to curb the real problems that fuel gun violence.
- — Pat Roberts (@SenPatRoberts)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:20:29It’s an outrage that the president is again going around Congress & taking unilateral action to infringe on #2ndAmendment rights of Kansans.
- — Dr. Ben Carson (@RealBenCarson)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:44:15The President's actions have everything to do with advancing his political agenda & little to do with actually protecting American citizens.
- — Carly Fiorina (@CarlyFiorina)Tue, Jan 05 2016 15:36:52Another lawless, unconstitutional overreach. The 2nd Amendment is an individual right. Mr. President, how about enforcing the laws we have?
- — John Culberson (@CongCulberson)Mon, Jan 04 2016 23:32:31
- And entertainers weighed in...
- — Montel Williams (@Montel_Williams)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:52:29
- — Montel Williams (@Montel_Williams)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:54:34Spend the time I have with teenagers who have been victim of mass gun violence. You'll understand. #StopGunViolence https://twitter.com/montel_williams/status/684432294480748544 …
- — Janelle Monáe, Cindi (@JanelleMonae)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:48:42CONGRESS put your money where your mouth is. you have the power to make a change. You really do. #StopGunViolence
- — kerry washington (@kerrywashington)Tue, Jan 05 2016 17:29:41
Reaction to Obama's gun control proposals
President Barack Obama unveiled an array of measures on Tuesday tightening control and enforcement of firearms in the U.S. Reaction was swift on social channels.