- Decembers' Program Room exhibition is Vanishing Landmarks: Photos of a BC Pioneering Heritage. The reception for the exhibition is on Wednesday the 2nd of December at 6pm. Photographer Howard Fry will be present to discuss why he embarked on an aesthetic exploration of historic BC farmscapes in the 1970’s.
- Howard's motivation was kindled by both a nostalgia for the stark world of the Yorkshire moors and a respect for the hope and determination of the pioneering peoples of BC. The old barns and farm structures shown in this exhibition were rapidly disappearing and he was moved to record the rugged, iconic beauty of an abandoned, heroic way of life.
Youth Writing Workshop | Wed 2nd Dec 4pm - 6pm
- Our final Youth Writing Workshop of 2015 is this Wednesday. Join Nikky in the Teen Room (106) @ 4pm.
- The Salt Spring Island Public Library is excited to offer a Youth Writing Group. Led by Nikky, who studied creative writing at UVic, the Writing Group offers a relaxed workshop environment for youth to enjoy writing activities, and share works in progress. Writing will cover poetry, stories, and any and all other writing that interests participants.
- FREE SNACKS!!!
Open Poetry Mic with Shirley Graham | Thu 3rd Dec @ 6:45pm
- Join featured poet Shirley Graham for our final open mic of 2015. Reader sign-up at 6:45. One poem per reader.
Double Book Launch | Sat 3:00-4:30pm
- Join us on Saturday for the launch of two books by Salt Spring Authors.
- Zabel by Pearl Gray
"Zabel is raised to be a warrior queen but she vows to defend the ways of the Great Mother. Her greatest challenge comes when she must decide how to protect her loved ones from the greed and covetousness that would destroy them. "
- Uncomfortably Numb by Lynda Crawford
"JACK OLIVER, stressed from years as a war correspondent, leaves the grey drizzle of Vancouver for Bathsheba, on the rugged Atlantic coast of Barbados, where he begins to relax. He plans to write his biography—the war stories and atrocities he has witnessed. But his personal issues of abandonment bubble to the surface of the page."
- For details of these and other events see our online calendar.