- Saltspring is an engaged community. Islanders are enormously generous with their time and in the commitment that they give to social causes and social enterprises. This week Ellie Langford Park reveals ways we can use new economic models to encourage and resource social change.
- Also this week the love of stories in all generations of islanders is shared in our Toddler Time, Story Time, Youth and Adult Book Clubs.
Social Change: New Economy | Tuesday @ 7pm
- On Tuesday the 22nd September Ellie Langford Park returns for another Social Change workshop, this time focusing on new economic models. Join Ellie at 7pm in the Program Room.
- The sharing economy includes micro-financing, social enterprise, crowd funding, recycling/ up cycling, swapping, renting rather than own, collective purchasing, collaborative consumption, subscription based models, pay as you can, co-operatives, micro-entrepreneurship, credit unions, patient capital. New business models have emerged, its not just hippies with cash registers. Ellie is a University of Victoria sessional instructor in the Masters of Arts of Community Development program and is a violence prevention trainer for the Canadian Red Cross. This event is free but registration encouraged (maximum 30 seats). Please register and/or questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Book Club - 419 by Will Ferguson | Thu 24th September @ 1pm
- This month's book club features the Giller Prize winning novel 419 by Will Ferguson.
- "Step into the world's most insidious Internet scam that begins with a single email: "Dear Sir, I am the son of an exiled Nigerian diplomat, and I need your help...". When Laura's father gets caught up in one such swindle and pays with his life, she is forced to leave the comfort of North America to make a journey deep into the dangerous back streets and alleyways of the Lagos underworld to confront her father's killer. A story of love in a time of darkness, of one woman's search for redemption, and of a young boy who will triumph above it all."
Young Adult Book Club - Boundless by Kenneth Oppel | Thursday @ 3:30pm
- Our first Young Adult Book Club of the season is on Thursday the 24th of September from 3:30-5:00pm. The club is open to everyone from ages 10-14 and runs on the second and fourth Thursday of every month.
- This month Martha and Cathy are looking at Boundless by Kenneth Oppel.
Changing Seasons In StoryTime and ToddlerTime
- The theme, until the end of October, in StoryTime and ToddlerTime is Changing Seasons.
- StoryTime runs on Fridays from 10:30am to 11:15am and is suitable for aged 3 to 6 years old.
- ToddlerTime runs on Saturdays from 10:30am to 11am and is suitable for children aged 3 and under.
Messages and Mentions