- Orbitz soda was first introduced in 1997 by the Clearly Canadian company. With all the new technology emerging, Orbitz soda was a play on the future of soda that was unlike any other soda. Although it nailed the texture and look of what was intended, the flavor fell flat. Orbitz soda was discontinued less than one year from its debut.
THE MARKETING RESEARCH PROCESS
- The steps in the marketing research process are, situation analysis,marketing strategy, campaign development, execution, and measurement.
The situation analysis by Clearly Canadian was to put out a soda unlike any other soda on the market. They came up with Orbitz soda which centered on texture rather than flavor.
The marketing strategy was to play upon the booming futuristic/ technology age. Making the drink look like a space-agey lava lamp with an almost out of this world vibe. The unique selling proposition was “texturally enhanced alternative beverage” (Foley, 2015).
The campaign development was to target the younger generation withits futuristic lava lamp look.
A web page dedicated to the drink was also developed as the execution, since the world wide web was getting popular at that time.
The measurement would attest to the amount of sales and feedback received on a product from the marketing process. For Orbitz, due to the many backlash from consumers about the taste of the product, no amount of marketing would have saved its impending doom.
WHERE IT WENT WRONG
- The failure of Orbitz market research process was in the situation analysis. The company should have done more research so that they did not take consumers’ value on flavor lightly.
BACK IN TIME
- If I were to go back in time, I would stop the company from marketing this product by telling them that if they cannot drink it themselves, then the consumers will not as well. No matter how the product looks, packaged and marketed, in the end the taste will win over or lose consumers.
- Foley,Maddy. (2015). Whatever Happened to the Orbitz Soft Drink? A brief history ofthe lava lamp beverage. Retrived from http://www.bustle.com/articles/93475-whatever-happened-to-orbitz-soft-drink-a-brief-history-of-the-lava-lamp-beverage …
- White, S. (2012). Principles of marketing. (1st ed.). San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc.