- — Arnar Heiðmar (@ArnarTheWriter)Fri, Jun 09 2017 21:56:32For those not in the know, a week into Pride Month, @ImageComics released a transphobic and Islamaphobic comic by Howard Chaykin.
- — Thal ❤ (@thalestral)Tue, Jun 13 2017 18:31:28A few folk are saying "but transphobic villains isn't transphobic!" which no. Comics does not need more cishet dudes writing trans panic.
- — Thal ❤ (@thalestral)Tue, Jun 13 2017 18:32:43But we live in a society that says, "ah but the man was tricked! So murder is fine actually". That's a real thing, not fucking entertainment
- — Thal ❤ (@thalestral)Tue, Jun 13 2017 18:33:18And it's being put out in a media that has little to no positive trans representation. But SO MANY trans characters written by cishet dudes.
- — Thal ❤ (@thalestral)Tue, Jun 13 2017 18:35:48And they wrap it all up in a big Pride bow, slap a Pride variant cover on it and go ~we're so pleased this is controversial, keep buying!~
- — Mags @ AwesomeCon! (@MagsVisaggs)Wed, Jun 14 2017 01:55:18A lot of people use "transphobic" as a shorthand that gets super misleading. The scene in question doesn't *promote* hatred for trans ppl.
- — Mags @ AwesomeCon! (@MagsVisaggs)Wed, Jun 14 2017 01:56:02The scene isn't *transphobic* in that sense. What it is is EXTREMELY problematic and frustrating. My initial response was, well fuck, this
- — Mags @ AwesomeCon! (@MagsVisaggs)Wed, Jun 14 2017 01:56:44again? Again? And so graphic? How often do we need to be reminded of our victimization? Why does that have to be THE primary portrayal of us
- — Mags @ AwesomeCon! (@MagsVisaggs)Wed, Jun 14 2017 02:02:24The scene takes and treats trans women as the *objects of violence* again and again and decides to flash a trans woman's dick.
- — Alexis Sergio (@TransComics)Fri, Jun 09 2017 22:11:30Pretending they give a fuck about queer folks but very clearly this is a publisher for cis, preferably het white men first and foremost.
- — Thal ❤ (@thalestral)Tue, Jun 13 2017 18:39:38And then more defended publishing that shit and fucking celebrated that shit, thought "ooh Pride" and slapped it on? Fuck all the way off.
bySean Kleefeld130 Views