West Virginia reacts to "Buckwild'
It's actually happening. Entertainment Weekly released a video preview today, saying that MTV is "hoping to hit pay dirt (mud?) several hundred miles southwest of New Jersey with Buckwild, a new reality series about nine young-adult friends in small-town West Virginia."
- Comments on that story range from the deadpan: "America is going to love this," to the incendiary: "What is really sad is that I watched that video with the sound off and I still heard the stupid southern twang of West Virginia's biggest idiots." (That one garnered at least one "like" within 10 minutes of being published.)
- And with that, social media took off. Reviews were... mixed.
- But at least one cast member, Ashley Whitt, wasn't offended by the criticism:
- And she and her show got at least some support from the twitterverse:
- Here's another cast member, tweeting about the rest of the cast. Follow away!
- Some photos of the cast also emerged on Instagram, some posted by friends of the cast:
- The reaction in Sissonville, where the show is filmed, seems to be mixed -- activity on Sissonville's Topix page about the show, originally created in January, also exploded when the promo appeared:
- And, just for background, here's the MTV release on the program: