- White smoke from the Sistine Chapel's chimney signifies 115 cardinals have selected a new pope.
- The official papal twitter account, in its first use since Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI resigned, announced the election of Pope Francis.
- — Twitter Religion (@twitterreligion)Wed, Mar 13 2013 13:50:06
- Religious, educational and political figures have high hopes for the new pope.
- — Barack Obama (@BarackObama)Wed, Mar 13 2013 13:45:54Obama on Pope Francis: "I look forward to working with His Holiness to advance peace, security, and dignity for our fellow human beings."
- Papal watchers have some fun during their wait.
- Pope Francis spent his career in Argentina focusing on social outreach.
- — Catholic News Agency (@cnalive)Wed, Mar 13 2013 15:05:39
- — M. Alex Johnson (@MAlexJohnson)Wed, Mar 13 2013 12:17:10The new #pope is the son of a railway worker. Considered a skeptic, perhaps an outright foe, of liberation theology.