Rioters take to the streets in Vancouver afters Game 7 loss

Following the Vancouver Canucks' 4-0 loss to the Boston Bruins in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, angry fans took to the streets of Downtown Vancouver. Amongst the crowds was Seattle Times reporter Danny O'Neil, who took photos and video from the heart of the chaos.


  1. Note: We will continue collecting photos, videos and tweets from the riots to this page. Keep checking back for updates. Read the full story.

    "People chanted obscenities and some leaped over raging bonfires as riot police moved in to try to restore order in the downtown streets strewn with garbage and filled with acrid smoke. Flames shot about 10 yards into the air off the cars and some bystanders tossed firecrackers."The Associated Press

    O'Neil first took note of the rioting outside of a post office, where he photographed a scene of an overturned car.

  2. Hundreds of tweets began pouring in from the thousands of fans and bystanders in Downtown Vancouver. Among them was Globe and Mail columnist Gary Mason, who documented police moving into the Post Office zone, where O'Neil had earlier reported an overturned car. 

  3. University of British Columbia student Robyn Smith documented "unbelievable destruction" and reported that those who did not leave the area would be tear gassed. 

  4. Around 9:30 p.m. PST, Gary Mason captured two more cars on fire.

  5. And then, more gassing.
  6. After filing a story for our newspaper, Seattle Times reporter Danny O'Neil went back out to the streets to capture the chaos.

  7. Referring to the riot of 1994 after the Canucks lost Game 7 to the New York Rangers, Gary Mason from the Globe and Mail made an observation:
  8. Around 9:51 p.m. PST, The Vancouver Sun reported that the crowds were on the move: "Vandals are now moving toward the Bay, breaking windows as they go. Window at First Bite Pizza on Granville St. were being smashed as the angry mob moved. There is report of a police car flipped at Nelson and Granville."

  9. Riots ensue in downtown Vancouver following Stanley Cup Final