- I'd said I would write a post, but the more I thought about it, the less certain I became that I had anything to say on the topic. So I asked for help.
- And help came. Along with war stories, worries, and economic realities.
- — Dr Becca, PhD (@doc_becca)Mon, Sep 16 2013 17:30:54
- — Hannah M Kallewaard (@hmkallewaard)Mon, Sep 16 2013 17:42:13
- — Dr Becca, PhD (@doc_becca)Mon, Sep 16 2013 17:37:32
- — Sugar Scientist, PhD (@SugarScientist)Tue, Sep 17 2013 02:39:09@sciwo I missed this, but I'm convinced the only way to "solve" the two body problem is for someone to be really unhappy, career-wise.
- — Sugar Scientist, PhD (@SugarScientist)Tue, Sep 17 2013 02:42:46@sciwo The only way we've been able to "compromise" is by not living in the same state, but it's not sustainable forever.
- Individual Solutions:
- — Hannah M Kallewaard (@hmkallewaard)Mon, Sep 16 2013 17:35:59
- — Hannah M Kallewaard (@hmkallewaard)Mon, Sep 16 2013 17:42:40
- — albatrossphd (@albatrossphd)Tue, Sep 17 2013 03:11:52@sciwo sorry to have missed this! Great sharing & thoughts. We had 1 yr w only my tt job & now a 'foot in the door' job for Mr (dr soon)
- Institutional action:
- — Jacquelyn Gill (@JacquelynGill)Mon, Sep 16 2013 18:57:05
- — Christopher J Cramer (@ChemProfCramer)Mon, Sep 16 2013 18:14:22
- — Christopher J Cramer (@ChemProfCramer)Tue, Sep 17 2013 02:51:10Two-body hires guaranteed to increase diversity, 'cause you won't get two white, hetero males (barring bromance search) cc: @sciwo
- And institutional hurdles:
- — DeWayne Townsend (@Dr_dtown)Mon, Sep 16 2013 17:37:53@sciwo It has been slowing our recruiting efforts. So far 3 candidates, who wanted to come; can't bc we couldn't find a place for their SO.
- I still need to write that blog post, and I'm no more convinced than ever that I have any sort of answer, but at least I know that lots of other people are fumbling along trying to figure out their own solutions. Maybe by sharing our strategies and successes we can help others along the way.
Questions and answers on "solving" the two body problem