- After shooting more than 20 videos, the answer to the questions above are, yes; excellent and definitely. Watch and read-on to see how and what we did.
- The picture above shows what digital producer George Downs took with him (we didn't use the laptop that's in the picture, it was there as a backup) and below is what he thinks is the minimum kit needed to shoot news and features following our experiment.
Here is a video that was shot using the really impressive Vyclone app. A multi-camera shoot with near instant editing. The app is free.
This is a three-camera shoot from Mobile World Congress, a review of the new Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, shot and edited in 5 minutes and uploaded to You Tube just minutes later.
- There was lots of engagement and interest from app makers and filmmakers.
We used Filmic Pro, a well commented upon camera app that allows for iris (light) and focus control among many other things. It's a huge improvement on the standard camera app on the iPhone and has lots of flexibility for the more serious user.
- We used Slopro to great effect in the video above–it's a super-slow-motion app–in this funny video where we tried (and succeeded) to break a prototype CAT phone which is built to withstand being dropped. We went a bit too far.
All the videos were edited on Cute Cut, a video editor for the iPad. It's pretty intuitive and allows two video tracks which is great for cut-aways. But it's missing a "back' or 'undo' button which can be frustrating.
- Another great app we used was Lapse It–it allows you to shoot time-lapse video. George Downs used it to capture a day at Mobile World Congress in video above. It's really easy to use and really helps lift general views and establishing shots that might otherwise be quite dull.
- There was lots of social media interest among the filmmaking community.
- While the apps transformed the experience and the output-the most crucial piece of kit was this cable above which allows the iPhone to be connected to the iPad for transferring video. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=3a …