- We began Day 2 of the 2014 SABR Analytics Conference with two powerhouse panels.
Leading off was the highly anticipated Decision Making in the Front Office panel, with Seattle Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik, Colorado Rockies AGM Bill Geivett, and San Francisco Giants exec Bobby Evans.
- Afterward, Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio joined us to talk about his acquisition of the team a decade ago, what he's learned over his time in baseball, and the Ryan Braun controversy.
- A few top-notch research presentations were held Friday on subjects ranging from in-game biomechanics to Bayesian scouting to the anatomy of a stolen base and pitcher injuries.
- At the 2013 conference, SABR and Rawlings unveiled a new partnership that would revamp the process for selecting the Gold Glove Award winners. The inclusion of advanced metrics to the Rawlings Gold Gloves was greeted mostly with praise from the analytics community and others in the baseball industry. This year at SABR Analytics, we discussed how that partnership came about and the future of defensive metrics.
- One of the highlights of every SABR Analytics Conference in its first three years has been the Clubhouse Confidential Panel. Our panelists all appear regularly on MLB Network's signature sabermetrics program, and a lively discussion was had on the current state of the game today.