- Transform Rockford, a group of businessmen, civic officials and citizens, wants to turn Rockford from what Forbes magazine calls a miserable city into an enviable one. The organization held its first meeting Thursday night, laying out brutal facts, and planning for the future.
Here is a sampling of what people at the meeting had to say via social media.
Let's start with the "brutal facts."
- — Frank Haney (@FrankHaney_Biz)Thu, Nov 14 2013 16:44:22#TransformRockford - Sprawl: land mass has grown 7 fold but population growth only doubled. Focused on growth but not on maintaining.
- — Rockford Chamber (@rockfordchamber)Thu, Nov 14 2013 16:29:15#transformrockford Violent crime rate is 251‰ higher than national average, we need transformation!
- — Frank Haney (@FrankHaney_Biz)Thu, Nov 14 2013 16:34:21#TransformRockford - kids in a two parent home where the parents have a high school degree have a 5% change of living in poverty.
- — Frank Haney (@FrankHaney_Biz)Thu, Nov 14 2013 16:27:33#TransformRockford - 85% of babies born to African American parents in Winnebago County are born out of wedlock.
These statistics shocked some of the attendees.
- — Wester Wuori (@WesterWuori)Thu, Nov 14 2013 16:51:51When you hit rock bottom, you can stay there or you can make a concentrated effort to get up off the floor and change. #transformrockford
- — Wester Wuori (@WesterWuori)Thu, Nov 14 2013 16:45:27
- — Wester Wuori (@WesterWuori)Thu, Nov 14 2013 17:10:18There are real people behind the maps and stats. They matter. Well said, David Sidney. #transformrockford
They focused on some bright spots and laid out a road map.
- — Linda Gerber (@lgerber903)Thu, Nov 14 2013 16:43:11Assets for the future: entrepuneurial and ingenuity of residents. High value industrys, and Readiness Rocks of RPS 205. #transformrockford