- Kitchen appliances will likely need updated, more room may need to be made available, and colors and materials will need to be chosen. Many people start by collecting kitchen photos that they like and brainstorm ideas of what will be done. Here are nine simple steps that will need to be completed before you can begin this remodeling project.
- What Will You Need?
- The first step is to consider how you will be using your kitchen and finding the best layout and what aspects will best fit the lifestyle of your household. Spend a great deal of time collecting as many ideas as you can from sources such as websites, books, magazines, and showrooms.
Decide what you feel are the most important changes you will need to fit with your family. Keep in mind how many people will be using the area and if you will have enough room for everyone and everything. Decide if you will need a bigger kitchen or if you can work with the area you currently have.
- Research and Planning
- A scrapbook collection of kitchen photos you like will help you make important decisions when it comes to what you want to accomplish. Use these references when you start to create a layout for your new kitchen. Write down reference numbers that point to specific pictures and ideas that you like.
Knowing what your budget is will be another important aspect of your remodel. If you do not have enough money to complete the project, there is no reason to begin it. Make estimates about the prices of different things that you want and keep the total below what you have to spend.
Budgets can change during projects and either give you more freedom or less. Prices of specific items or materials may change as you find better deals. You may choose one upgrade over another to save money. The prices are only an estimate and you may find that you have chosen an amount that is too high or too low.
- Hiring Professionals
- If you plan on doing as much of the work as you can, you will need to decide in what areas you will need to hire professional help. You will likely hire someone to build you custom kitchen cabinets, run your electrical, and install the correct plumbing. Decide which areas you will need help with and get a couple of quotes on prices from reputable companies.
If you plan on hiring professionals to do all of the work, find someone you like and trust that you can work closely with from start to finish. Friends that have recently renovated their own homes will likely have professional recommendations. Ask around and check reviews of popular companies online until you find which one fits your budget best.
- Prepare Schematics
- A schematic should be sketched out with as much important information as you can gather. Plan your space as well as you can and do your best to figure out how much of each material you will need.
- Finishes and Fixtures
- Finishes and fixtures will need to be picked out to help fill in the schematics that were created. Cabinetry, countertops, appliances, sinks, lighting fixtures, flooring, and backsplashes are just a few of the things you will need to decide on.
- Get Permits
- You will need to submit your schematics and fixture decisions for permits. You will likely need to hire someone to finalize the paperwork and get you your permits.
- Hire a Contractor
- Next you will need to hire a licensed contractor to bring your project to life. Get a few estimates and find out which one you think will work best for your project.
- Preparing for Demolition