- — Reni Eddo-Lodge (@renireni)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:35:02I know I have a lot of white followers on here who are down with these topics. This Q is aimed at you in particular, but anyone can answer.
- — Sarah_Woolley (@Sarah_Woolley)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:42:36@renireni entitlement, pride, an education that presents racism as an irrecoverable mentality of evil. Hence "I'm not hitler" defensiveness
- — Victoria Butcher (@MsVicButcher)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:47:54
- — Mr Northice (@MrNorthice)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:48:24@renireni Years of never needing to confront it? Considering themselves as the default point for cultural & racial norms. Easy opportunities
- — Melody Pond (@the_eumelia)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:42:44@renireni We don't want to relinquish our power over a situation. As soon as we talk about race & racism, our power becomes precarious -
- — Victoria Butcher (@MsVicButcher)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:44:35@renireni A lack of understanding of the racist structures that we actively uphold along with the fear of being called racist, i reckon.
- — J. Skyler (@jskylerinc)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:44:26@renireni accusation of being and/or reputation as a racist is something that is nearly impossible to recover from (Ex: Paula Dean).
- — Peter Spence (@Pete_Spence)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:43:18@renireni It's discussed as something that is historical. People not subjected to subtle, pervasive racism unlikely to recognise it exists.
- — Dorothea (@dorotheainrome)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:48:49@renireni I'm a white person and afraid I can't figure it out either.I get anxious I've said something insensitive sometimes but not angry.
- — Dorothea (@dorotheainrome)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:52:05@renireni maybe people find learning about their privilege scary because it involves examining your self and identity (not always pleasant)
- — Jo (@jonanamary)Fri, Jul 05 2013 08:48:32@renireni taught "racism = bad" in schs, no follow-up, no reinforcement from Wh Sup soc. Idea that racism= "insults" http://www.gradientlair.com/post/54207960973/white-woman-derails-conversation-on-race …542079609…
Having a grown up conversation about racism (part 2)
byReni Eddo-Lodge701 Views