Cornwall Minority Status Granted
Cornwall was granted the same status as Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on April 24th, 2014. The announcement feeds into the European Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities.
- Questions of what the new status meant started to appear in media coverage almost immediately.
- Cornwall regressed back to a position that made it the poorest region in the UK in 2014.
- The Duchy received European Union Convergence Funding in the past.
- The minority status could help the economy.
- Cornwall is known worldwide for its contribution to the mining sector.
- The Cornish Gorseth was formed in the first part of the 20th century.
- The status change was also linked to the Scottish Independence vote.