- — Dave Harland (@wordmancopy)Mon, Mar 07 2016 14:53:15@reedwords Dad played Scrabble with me age 6. Soon began trouncing him. Did journo degree & got in-house copywriter role. Now freelance too.
- — Joanna Tidball (@joannatidball)Mon, Mar 07 2016 14:16:23Loved the writing aspect of PR but did not love media relations --> planned a move into freelance copywriting https://twitter.com/reedwords/status/705694152621744128 …
- — Roshni Goyate (@roshnigoyate)Mon, Mar 07 2016 11:41:34
- — Roshni Goyate (@roshnigoyate)Mon, Mar 07 2016 11:40:15
- — Dylan Parry (@dylanparry1)Mon, Mar 07 2016 11:34:07@reedwords I worked in finance at a brand agency. Would share my travel writing around. One day they asked me to be their copywriter.
- — Chloe (Re:scrawl) (@re_scrawl)Mon, Mar 07 2016 11:16:58
- — Honor Clement-Hayes (@mutatedmusings)Mon, Mar 07 2016 11:08:59@reedwords Started writing website copy for a big advertising factory. Worked my way up by noseying into other people's business.
- — Copy & Cats (@CopyAndCats)Mon, Mar 07 2016 10:37:19@reedwords A little PR experience (excelling at press releases), then a little charm and a lot of naïvety about what I was worth...
- — Sarah Cooper (@picnic_copy)Mon, Mar 07 2016 10:31:29@reedwords Covering letter to a respected branding agency, interview, extended placement then job. Stressful, long-winded, worth the effort!
- — Rishi Dastidar (@BetaRish)Mon, Mar 07 2016 10:18:19
- — purplesime (@purplesime)Mon, Mar 07 2016 10:14:17@reedwords I have *always* written, so I told anyone I met that I was a writer. Turns out it works as a way to get in. Then hard slog began!
- — DropCap Copywriting (@DropCapCopy)Mon, Mar 07 2016 10:11:05@reedwords In a nutshell: started as a printer, went into artwork/design, ended up writing copy. Decided to go freelance - finally happy!
- — Hilary Alexander (@hilaryalex)Mon, Mar 07 2016 09:29:29@reedwords Started out in PR, moved into advertising and corporate comms. Then stopped ignoring the pull, the yearning, to write full time.
- — ✪ Jon ✪ (@fullstopnewpara)Sat, Mar 05 2016 19:12:24
- — Friya Engineer (@WordsByFriya)Fri, Mar 04 2016 14:50:41@reedwords Ooh, hello! Started in PR, realised I hated journalists and loved writing. Recruiter mentioned copywriting and a career was born.
Becoming a copywriter
We asked copywriters on Twitter about how they came to be in their jobs. Turns out we’re a persistent lot.