- While flossing remains to the important part of dental hygiene practices, most of the people either forget to continue it on daily basis or some don’t even do it at all. It turns out to be the bad habit because flossing can clean the areas which are not reachable by the brushing. But there is another solution for the people who do not floss. It is called water flossing for which a special device is used. This device is called water flosser.
- A water flosser is basically an oral irrigator which shoots a thin stream of water. This thin stream can be aimed at the gum line and the areas between the teeth. This way, it acts pretty much like the traditional flossing.
- In order to get the water flosser working, you need to plug in the device and give it a consistent supply of water.
Should it be used?
- The need to use water flosser depends upon the dental hygiene routine you follow. If you brush and floss regularly, you may not need to use water flosser at all. In fact, dentists would tell you how good it is to floss the teeth using traditional flossing technique; and also how regular traditional flossing can be even better than the water flossing. If you are still convinced about water flossing, you can use it as a supplementary method to clean your teeth.
- However, there are some conditions which make water flossing a better option than other flossing methods. What are those conditions? Let’s discuss.
Consistent bleeding in gums
- You may find regular flossing hurtful when you have bleeding gums. In that situation, you can switch to water flosser. Leaving the habit of flossing is not ideal in any scenario; especially in the case when you are starting have gum problem. If teeth are not cleaned well in that condition, the bleeding gums can let serious conditions, like gingivitis and periodontitis, to occur. These conditions can lead to the tooth loss and even the loss of jawbone.
- In case of gum disease, finding and cleaning the areas between the teeth can be pretty much difficult. In that situation, you can get your teeth water flossed to get rid of any additional plaque and unwanted particles which the bacteria can use to feed on.
When you have braces
- Flossing can be very tricky task when you have braces. Since braces are going to be there for a long time, there is no point of waiting for the braces to be removed in order to start flossing. So, you can count on water flossing in this situation. Since water flossing quite easier as compared to regular flossing, you can do it after every meal. You can get proper guidance about the proper use of water flosser in order to ensure cleaning from every angle.
- Saliva production in the mouth is very important to wash away the bacteria and acids which can hurt the dental health. If you have some acute or chronic issue which leads to the deficiency in saliva production, you can always for water flossing. Water flossing would not only clean the hidden areas of your dental area but it will also provide necessary moisture to the mouth.