- — Jeff Selingo (@jselingo)Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:28:59Already 150 comments on Post piece about whether profs should work more hours teaching to hold down #highered costs. http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/do-college-professors-work-hard-enough/2012/02/15/gIQAn058VS_story.html …npost.com/opinions/do-college-professors-work-hard-enough/2012/02/15/gIQAn058VS_story.html
- — Melonie Fullick (@qui_oui)Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:50:21
- — Melonie Fullick (@qui_oui)Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:52:27"receive these salaries for working less than half the time of their non-academic peers" OK wait...when did research become "not work"?
- — Melonie Fullick (@qui_oui)Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:54:11flipping the "teaching isn't real work" argument on its end just produces yet another bad argument: "only teaching counts as work" #HigherEd
- — Rohan Maitzen (@RohanMaitzen)Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:51:40@qui_oui Couldn't bear to read more than a few comments since it's SUNDAY MORNING and I'm up marking papers after doing same last night.
- — Sasha Boersma (@sashaboersma)Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:58:07@qui_oui article also overlooks that one needs to prep for the hours in class, and grade assignments. which is all outside of teaching hrs.
- — Adeline Koh (@adelinekoh)Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:59:16@qui_oui worst bit is that the author says he has worked in academia for a long time--but as an academic or admin?? Sounds like an MBA admin
- — Sasha Boersma (@sashaboersma)Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:59:42@qui_oui ah, I must not be far enough into the article yet ;) meanwhile, if a prof isn't prepared, students complain... crazy.
- — Adeline Koh (@adelinekoh)Sun, Mar 25 2012 13:06:49@qui_oui hmm. Definitely sounds more of an MBA type than a phd academic... Reminds me of Ginsberg's fall of the faculty argument
- — Jessica Langer (@DrJessicaLanger)Sun, Mar 25 2012 13:13:20@qui_oui this is such ridiculous bull. Tenured profs have low teaching loads b/c part-timers make minimum wage for high teaching loads.
- — Malcolm M. Campbell (@m_m_campbell)Sun, Mar 25 2012 13:34:31
- — Chris Atherton (@finiteattention)Sun, Mar 25 2012 13:38:58
- — Malcolm M. Campbell (@m_m_campbell)Sun, Mar 25 2012 13:32:32
Response to David C. Levy Column
Washington Post, March 23, 2012.
byMelonie Fullick1 Like227 Views