- That particular Tweet was retweeted more than 4,700 times.
- The @FiredBigBird account was later suspended, but not before gaining more than 26,000 followers.
- Even Jim Lehrer scored his own parody account, @silentjimlehrer, as the social consensus was that the moderator was steamrolled by the candidates, Romney in particular.
- You get the gist.
By the end of a night, a new trending topic emerged, taking the lead worldwide: #SaveBigBird. Not that the Muppet noticed.
- For the record, Big Bird is officially remaining non-partisan. "We do not comment on political campaigns, but we're happy we can all agree that everyone likes Big Bird," the Sesame Workshop said in a statement on Thursday afternoon.
- Still, looks like it's time for Twitter to change its blue bird to a yellow one.