- — emilie alcock (@emiliealcock)Fri, May 13 2016 14:21:22just passed a coworker on the way to her desk during the keynote speech who said, "i think i wanna take notes!" 👏👏👏 #mpplsid16
- The following references came, during the initial highly-interactive keynote presentation, in response to our discussion about how we can help library users in online environments sift through reliable and unreliable sources; I cited Howard Rheingold's "Net Smart: How to Thrive Online" as a great resource to address the question and encouraged session participants to tweet the name out for themselves as a way of using Twitter to take notes while also extending the conversation beyond the walls of the room. This was the moment, early in the daylong event, when Twitter began serving as a vehicle to help participants (what I lovingly call "co-conspirators"--a term I picked up from my colleagues in #etmooc) understand that eLearning is far more than recorded learning opportunities posted online.
- — Colleen Seisser (@colleenTS81)Fri, May 13 2016 15:01:19
- — Colleen Seisser (@colleenTS81)Fri, May 13 2016 15:02:26
- — Colleen Seisser (@colleenTS81)Fri, May 13 2016 15:08:15How do we approach elearning? It is underused by staff and patrons. Is there a better way to ask patrons what they really need? #mpplsid16
- — Colleen Seisser (@colleenTS81)Fri, May 13 2016 15:09:29
- — Colleen Seisser (@colleenTS81)Fri, May 13 2016 15:11:11Two kinds of patrons: those who aren't curious and those who are. We often assume patrons are not curious when we help them. #mpplsid16
- — Colleen Seisser (@colleenTS81)Fri, May 13 2016 15:12:18Give patrons the reputable resource rather than the Google search, but it's hard for us not to go straight to Google. #mpplsid16
"From eLearning to Learning": MPPL Staff Inservice Day 2016
This lightly-edited Storify document captures some of the blended (onsite-online) conversations that extended an innovative daylong approach to Mount Prospect Public Library's Staff Inservice Day (SID) far beyond the meeting rooms of the event on May 13, 2016.