Tweetstorm on the rise of bootcamps
I've been thinking even more on bootcamps and that led to a bit of a tweetstorm this morning. There's a lot of opinions going on, so this isn't actually in chronological order. I tried to keep related thoughts together.
- — Tracy Chou (@triketora)Mon, Aug 08 2016 11:10:24Are coding bootcamps only for the rich? https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/06/are-coding-bootcamps-only-for-the-rich/ …
- — Jennifer Konikowski (@jenkoni)Mon, Aug 08 2016 12:49:11LRT: I would say yes. I also have a problem with bootcamps portraying themselves as the ONLY way to get a job in tech without a CS degree
- — Jennifer Konikowski (@jenkoni)Mon, Aug 08 2016 12:49:47& then funneling people out, most with little support once they "graduate", into a job market that is increasingly less receptive to juniors
- — Jennifer Konikowski (@jenkoni)Mon, Aug 08 2016 12:50:35Which means a decent amount won't get jobs and won't ever get the chance to become senior devs because they'll have to leave the industry
- — Jennifer Konikowski (@jenkoni)Mon, Aug 08 2016 12:51:44It's really disappointing to me when I see women completing Railsbridge and then the only path forward that they are shown is a bootcamp.
- — pamela marie (@pwnela)Mon, Aug 08 2016 15:21:22@jenkoni people sign up before they talk to anyone who might tell them not to since ALL OF THE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE ONLINE FOR FREE
- — Jennifer Konikowski (@jenkoni)Mon, Aug 08 2016 15:45:18@pwnela I just can't get over how predatory they feel & their "if you can't hack it in this env you won't make it as a programmer" mentality
- — Maria Shaffer (@minishaff)Mon, Aug 08 2016 12:56:19@jenkoni Probably when bootcamps were originally the cheaper option and college started being the "expensive and ridiculous" option.
- — Maria Shaffer (@minishaff)Mon, Aug 08 2016 12:58:29@jenkoni Oh absolutely! I use free online courses to teach myself all the time, but will always consider a college course over a bootcamp.
- — Barrett Clark (@barrettclark)Mon, Aug 08 2016 12:58:45@jenkoni I’m self taught. I essentially worked 2 jobs (managing a team + doing dev) for a couple of years while making the transition.
- — Maria Shaffer (@minishaff)Mon, Aug 08 2016 13:00:11
- — Maria Shaffer (@minishaff)Mon, Aug 08 2016 13:18:14@jenkoni I feel like it's been a slow transition over the last 10 years. College = expensive and time consuming. Bootcamp = quick and easy.
- — Maria Shaffer (@minishaff)Mon, Aug 08 2016 13:18:53@jenkoni HOWEVER, people aren't considering courses. They're thinking degree, and so a bootcamp seems the easier/cheaper option.