- — Michael Eisen (@mbeisen)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:20:54Please raise your hand if you're a biologist and got a postdoctoral fellowship or faculty position without a glamour mag publication.
- — Joshua Drew (@Drew_Lab)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:24:50@mbeisen NSF bioinformatics postdoc, faculty (but not TT) at Columbia with papers in Conservation Biology and Mol. Phylogenetics and Evol.
- — Doctor_Strange (@StrangeSource)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:25:21@mbeisen Hand half raised. Am MD predominantly in lab. I wouldn’t have my position if straight PhD. Much higher bar.
- — Ewan Birney (@ewanbirney)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:40:31@mbeisen I didn't have a snc publication when I moved to EBI though of course draft human genome was in progress - special circumstance ?
- — Pedro Beltrao (@pedrobeltrao)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:41:32
- — Ewan Birney (@ewanbirney)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:42:52
- — Ewan Birney (@ewanbirney)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:44:32@mbeisen .. Having greater than 20 nature. Of course many genome consortia (but not all). I do think crude publication metrics are bad
- — Ewan Birney (@ewanbirney)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:46:07@mbeisen however I accept completely that people could put me in a different category due to genome papers - they have their own dynamic
- — Chris Gunter (@girlscientist)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:51:32@mbeisen huge gap between postdoc and faculty in answer to this. Not useful to lump together, from what I've seen of faculty searches.
- — Benoit Bruneau (@benoitbruneau)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:54:01@mbeisen got both postdoc and good faculty position without glam pub. Was the promise of continued good science that was important.
- — Benoit Bruneau (@benoitbruneau)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:58:04@mbeisen on other hand my latest postdoc to get a job wasn't going to get it w/o Nat Genet paper that was in rev; was explicitly stated.
- — Kirkwood Lab @ UOIT (@KirkwoodLab)Sat, Jan 26 2013 16:59:09
- — Pedro Beltrao (@pedrobeltrao)Sat, Jan 26 2013 17:00:11@mbeisen postdoc funding is not as limited as PI positions.that is part of the problem.PIs with large groups of temporary positions
- — Arash Komeili (@micromagnets)Sat, Jan 26 2013 17:00:20@mbeisen got job with no glam mag from postdoc. Actually only had 1 pub submitted and not yet published when I sent in job app.
- — Leonid Kruglyak (@leonidkruglyak)Sat, Jan 26 2013 17:01:55Lets just agree that at present, it's much harder (though not impossible) to get faculty jobs w/o high-profile pubs. @mbeisen
- — Benoit Bruneau (@benoitbruneau)Sat, Jan 26 2013 17:02:19@mbeisen at my place we evaluate based on accomplishment and contribution to field. In areas like comp sci and bioeng don't expect glam mag
- — Simon Garnier (@sjmgarnier)Sat, Jan 26 2013 17:07:07
Successs Without Glamor Publications in Academia
Glamour Pubs: Science/Nature/Cell (SNC) #SuccessWithoutGlamour