- Republicans say the budget cuts are essential; Democrats blast the GOP for 'rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic' and balancing the budget on the backs of the poor.
- The House restarted its debate on the budget just after 4pm today. Initially the House moved swiftly through the remaining 70+ amendments.
- — BenPhilpottKUT (@BenPhilpottKUT)Sun, Apr 03 2011 21:14:38Chatter from different lawmakers has today's debate going between 4 and 10 hours. Guess which estimate i would prefer. #txlege
- — waynechristian (@waynechristian)Sun, Apr 03 2011 21:23:33
- Rep. Jerry Madden's amendment to mandate the TDCJ employees be self-sufficient won plaudits from conservative activists and was adopted by the House..
- — EmpowerTexans (@EmpowerTexans)Sun, Apr 03 2011 21:24:11
- — reevehamilton (@reevehamilton)Sun, Apr 03 2011 21:34:33Madden's amendment that would charge TDCJ employees for maintenance and utilities at state-owned housing is adopted. #txlege
- Madden and other Reps proposed a series of other amendments for TDCJ.
- — kiahcollier (@kiahcollier)Sun, Apr 03 2011 21:50:51
- — kiahcollier (@kiahcollier)Sun, Apr 03 2011 21:49:46McClendon amendment that places 12-percent cap (minus approval) on salary increases to juvenile probation boards is approved. #txlege
- Unlike the debate over Article III (Education); the impression was that the House was flying through the amendments to Articles IV/V (Criminal Justice).
- — BenPhilpottKUT (@BenPhilpottKUT)Sun, Apr 03 2011 21:50:37Things moving along much more quickly today. feels like about half the amendments are being withdrawn instead of debated. #txlege
- — RepJoeDeshotel (@RepJoeDeshotel)Sun, Apr 03 2011 21:50:56Things off to a slow start but should rather quickly now that we are out of Education and Health Services #txlege
- However, there seemed to be this growing sense they were moving everything to Article XI (the wishlist -- that's it's technical name)
House Budget Debate -- Day Two
Everything that you might have missed from day two of the budget debate in the House
byNolan Hicks623 Views