- — Colonel K (@ColonelKSpeaks)Fri, Feb 10 2012 17:45:03@nathanjurgenson U mean spending mad money to hear people rant about some shit they think they know about? sorry dude, not buyin it
- — nathanjurgenson (@nathanjurgenson)Fri, Feb 10 2012 17:46:03@ColonelKSpeaks tho, i'll spend money to hear smart people talk. it is just the TED culture...doesnt do it for me
- — Rob Horning (@marginalutility)Fri, Feb 10 2012 17:46:58@nathanjurgenson not sure if I am in your demo, but I don't get them either. I always worry that it's just me being kneejerk contrarian
- — Thodoris Colovos (@thodoriscolovos)Fri, Feb 10 2012 17:48:41
- — nathanjurgenson (@nathanjurgenson)Fri, Feb 10 2012 17:50:39TED talks bore me b/c too PR-polished; too "mind-blowing-3.0!" rather than substance; important topics ignored; strikes me as a big$$$ scam
- — Rob Horning (@marginalutility)Fri, Feb 10 2012 17:55:27@nathanjurgenson yes exactly; they collectively depict a world where all the smartest people yearn to become management consultants
- — nathanjurgenson (@nathanjurgenson)Fri, Feb 10 2012 18:01:36tho, if TED wants me to do a talk where i explain why they have become rather silly, i will gladly comply
- — Robinson Meyer (@yayitsrob)Fri, Feb 10 2012 18:03:58
- — alexismadrigal (@alexismadrigal)Fri, Feb 10 2012 19:18:22@nathanjurgenson Like: format is highly shareable; presentations are polished; complex, technical topics get wider exposure than they might.
- — alexismadrigal (@alexismadrigal)Fri, Feb 10 2012 19:19:52@nathanjurgenson Dislike: kind of cultish; supplicant relationship to money/power; too narrative dependent; my own jealousy.
- — Roei Eisenberg (@roeberg)Fri, Feb 10 2012 19:19:08
- — Tom Slee (@whimsley)Fri, Feb 10 2012 19:19:19@nathanjurgenson Reason one: Boys' club. http://whimsley.typepad.com/whimsley/2010/02/index.html …pad.com/whimsley/2010/02/index.html. ReaTED two: a whole lot of smugness. #TED
- — faeriedevilish (@faeriedevilish)Fri, Feb 10 2012 19:19:49@nathanjurgenson My 5c: I used to love TED early on when all its talks were, by my standards, outstanding. I appreciated their curation 1/2
What's Wrong with TED
bynathanjurgenson1 Like10,547 Views