- — Ian Mulvany (@IanMulvany)Mon, Feb 04 2013 02:59:23#APE2013 Leibniz Association manages about 1.4B in funding annually, including major infrastructure in research data services.
- — eric hellman (@gluejar)Mon, Feb 04 2013 02:59:23It seems to me that the real question is not "Do we need publishers?" but "How can we maximize publishers cost-effectiveness?" #ape2013
- Dame Janet Finch, of Finch report fame, comes on stage:
- — Kaveh Bazargan (@kaveh1000)Mon, Feb 04 2013 02:59:23#ape2013 Dame Janet Finch: UK Learned societies use much of publication income for other activities. More than other European countries.
- — Kaveh Bazargan (@kaveh1000)Mon, Feb 04 2013 02:59:23#ape2013 Dame Janet Finch: Worldwide, 6% have UK authors. Remit is to make *all* research available, so cannot just think of UK.
- — Vera Münch (@observaitress)Mon, Feb 04 2013 02:59:23
- — Kaveh Bazargan (@kaveh1000)Mon, Feb 04 2013 02:59:23#ape2013 Finch: Learned societies will need longer to adapt to OA. Estimated cost: £50-60m annual during transition inc £38m APCs
- — STMpublisher (@STMbas)Mon, Feb 04 2013 02:59:23finch doesn't want to set APC's, but assigns 58mL for apc's. With ~80k UK articles p.a. this works out at ~$ 1.100 per article. #ape2013