- First, stories began spreading around the Internet that Facebook private messages were appearing publicly on users' Timelines.
- — Anthony De Rosa (@AntDeRosa)Mon, Sep 24 2012 19:10:18Wow, I just had to hide private messages from several years on Facebook, I can confirm that this is an issue, for my account at least.
- — Anthony De Rosa (@AntDeRosa)Mon, Sep 24 2012 19:12:46Private messages were mixed in with public wall messages for a given year. Click on your years and you'll see them show up in one box.
- — Sophie Mindell (@SophieMindell)Mon, Sep 24 2012 17:52:27I'll make a deal with you - if you don't search through my timeline looking at my private messages I won't search through yours #FacebookBug
- Then, a little bit of skepticism...
- ...and more skepticism...
- ...until a final debunker.
- — Josh Constine (@JoshConstine)Mon, Sep 24 2012 19:29:39I've investigated email receipts + spoken directly with Facebook Security. Both concur that no private messages exposed http://tcrn.ch/ULuao7 7
- That was followed up by additional reports from other news outlets that the early scare was just that — a scare.
- — TechCrunch (@TechCrunch)Mon, Sep 24 2012 19:18:02
- It was still a bit of a sobering experience.
- — Mike Isaac (@MikeIsaac)Mon, Sep 24 2012 19:33:49Facebook non-story spreads like wildfire. People report on it. Then actually go back and check their Facebook pages/ask company for comment.
- — Steph Bennett (@StephsBubble)Mon, Sep 24 2012 18:41:58#Facebookbug or no Facebookbug, I'm now considering what I really want to share in the digital space publicly and privately.
- ...with a bit of a silver lining.
- — Sam Biddle (@samfbiddle)Mon, Sep 24 2012 18:51:33The silver lining is that people will dig back into timeline and have a nice nostalgia fit/freakout from old relations they used to talk to
- — John Herrman (@jwherrman)Mon, Sep 24 2012 19:40:46Facebook probably didn't expose any private messages, but seeing all my old wall posts without context is HORRIBLE http://www.buzzfeed.com/reyhan/did-facebook-reveal-your-private-messages …com/reyhan/did-facebook-reveal-your-private-messages
- — Tim Carmody (@tcarmody)Mon, Sep 24 2012 19:42:31Seriously, if Facebook's not-actually-story about private/public messages distracts from stock cratering again, I'd count that as a net win.
Facebook's Privacy Panic
byMatt Lynley15,498 Views