- — Peter Baker (@peterbakernyt)Wed, May 09 2012 12:16:10Obama cites "Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf" and "the Golden Rule" in deciding to support same-sex marriage.
- Romney, meanwhile, believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman.
- And Twitter users' reactions:
- — Keith A. Burton (@drkeithburton)Wed, May 09 2012 12:04:10I disagree with Obama's stance on same sex marriage. I do not believe it is a Civil Rights issue. Let's hope it doesn't hurt him this fall.
- — Sean Eldridge (@SeanEldridge)Wed, May 09 2012 12:03:02We will look back on today as a historic tipping point against discrimination in the United States. Thank you Mr. President.
- The reactions of politicians, commentators and celebrities:
- — A Great Big City (@agreatbigcity)Wed, May 09 2012 12:11:36Statement of Mayor Bloomberg on President Obama's support for marriage equality - http://on.nyc.gov/J1fg42 fg42
- — Mike Bloomberg (@MikeBloomberg)Wed, May 09 2012 12:26:37