Crowd thins out in Admiralty, but there's still thousands of protesters
- Oct 3 2014 6:06 AM EDT / Bettina Wassener
- Far fewer people around than over the past few days, but protesters outside government offices in Admiralty still number in their thousands. It's very peaceful here, lots of schoolchildren in their school uniforms among the crowd.
The barricades and impromptu first aid and supplies stockpiles are all still up and staffed with friendly volunteers
Along Queensway, which has been blocked off for days and is not far from the core of the demo in Admiralty, a lonely jogger was taking advantage of the traffic-free situation to run in the middle of the road.
- Demonstrators have created a large, colorful roof of old umbrellas, stretched between pedestrian walkways outside government offices at Admiralty.
Tensions flare at Mong Kok, Kowloon
- Oct 3 2014 5:00 AM EDT / Jenni Ryall
- On Friday afternoon, local time, scenes in Kowloon became heated after pro-Beijing supporters tried to rip down the tents of protesters.
Government headquarters closed in Hong Kong
- Oct 2 2014 11:02 PM EDT/ Brittany Levine
- Government headquarters were temporarily closed in Hong Kong on Friday morning local time as protesters continued to maintain barricades around the office of the city's leader, Leung Chun-ying.
- Protesters have called for Leung, the Beijing-appointed chief executive, to resign. Instead, he's offered talks.
- Police and pro-democracy protesters scuffled in front of the shut office building as demonstrators blocked two vehicles carrying food for authorities from entering the premises, according to CNN.
- However, when an officer needed an ambulance after collapsing, protesters let emergency responders through. On Thursday, officials secretly hid supplies in an ambulance, so protesters have grown not to trust authorities. They shouted "Shame" and "We don't trust you" at officials Friday, according to CNN. Some people with government ids were allowed to pass the barricades, according to tweets from reporters on the ground.
International support streams in for Hong Kong demonstrators
- Oct 2 2014 1:04 AM EDT/ Brittany Levine
- Support for the Hong Kong Demonstrators has been spotted in cities around the world.